[News] More Crimes in FOSS Basher McAfee, Home Office Can't Secure Data

McAfee seeks gag on exec ousted over options

,----[ Quote ]
| Former McAfee President Kevin Weiss, exonerated of wrongdoing in a stock
| option-backdating scandal, plans to ask a judge on Monday to unseal the
| arbitration award that cleared him of wrongdoing and ordered McAfee to pay
| damages for firing him without proper cause.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10315368-245.html

Home Office data loss included drug records

,----[ Quote ]
| The Home Office has confirmed that the volume of data on a lost memory stick
| was much larger than originally reported.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39730190,00.htm

Stealing 130 Million Credit Card Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| Years ago, when giving advice on how to avoid identity theft, I would tell
| people to shred their trash. Today, that advice is completely obsolete. No
| one steals credit card numbers one by one out of the trash when they can be
| stolen by the millions from merchant databases.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/08/stealing_130_mi.html

Related:

McAfee Ordered To Pay $18 Million In Patent Case

,----[ Quote ]
| McAfee (MFE) this afternoon disclosed in an SEC filing that a federal jury in
| Texas last week found the company violated a patent held by venture-backed
| DeepNines Inc. and ordered McAfee to pay $18 million for past and future
| damages. The company said it intends to appeal the verdict.
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/07/21/mcafee-ordered-to-pay-18-million-in-patent-case/

McAfee's libel against open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Someone at McAfee thinks that the correlation between botnets and open source
| is clear, but I am struggling to grasp any connection between the two.
| Perhaps this is just one more example of McAfee's dubious grasp on reality
| when it comes to open source. Remember its statement that open-source
| licensing is a threat to its business? Â Â
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9917989-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Why Are the Feds Still Gunning for McAfee's Former GC?

,----[ Quote ]
| But things didn't quite work out that way. Eight years later, Roberts is
| preparing for his felony trial on two counts of mail fraud, one count of wire
| fraud, three counts of false Securities and Exchange Commission filings, and
| one count of falsifying books and records. If convicted on all seven counts,
| Roberts faces a maximum of 140 years in prison and more than $10 million in
| fines. He is also fighting a suit by the SEC for securities fraud and is a
| defendant with McAfee in two derivative suits over backdating. The SEC Â
| complaint called Roberts' repricing "a fraudulent scheme to enrich himself."
| Roberts pled not guilty to the criminal charges and denied the SEC
| allegations. Â Â Â Â
|
| Roberts' attorney, Neal Stephens, a partner at Cooley Godward Kronish in Palo
| Alto, Calif., said that neither he nor Roberts would comment for this
| article. McAfee spokesman Joris Evers says, "McAfee does not discuss former
| employees." Â
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/ihc/PubArticleIHC.jsp?id=1200650739414

McAfee to pay $13.8 million to settle backdating lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| McAfee has taken two major steps toward closing the stock-option backdating
| scandal that has plagued the company for the past two years.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071222/tc_infoworld/94209

Weâre not thieves. We just canât read contracts (McAfee and Open Source)

,----[ Quote ]
| There is a lot of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt) spread about Free/Libre
| and Open Source (FLOSS) licenses. While companies dependant on older
| competing business models suggest these licenses are complex or âambiguousâ,
| the reality is quite the opposite. Â
`----

http://blogs.itworldcanada.com/insights/2008/01/11/we%E2%80%99re-not-thieves-we-just-can%E2%80%99t-read-contracts-mcafee-and-open-source/
http://tinyurl.com/39pjml