[News] GNU/Linux Distributions That Are Good for Entertainment & Practice

3 Linux distros you would love to laugh at

,----[ Quote ]
| I must say that the number of Linux distributions is greater than one can
| imagine and it is growing every day.Every time I see some geek coming out
| with a distro of his own as if it is trendy to do so.Making a Linux distro
| has become relatively easier given the number of tools there are for doing
| it,but that doesnât mean that you can come up with anything you like.Here are
| the some distributions/editions you shouldnât be using if you really have a
| life.
`----

http://www.abhishekrane.com/2009/08/30/3-linux-distros-you-would-love-to-laugh-at/

Backtrack : Linux Distro for the White Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| Backtrack is a slackware based Linux distro which uses the KDE environment.
| Backtrack was developed by the Mati Aharoni, an Israeli security consultant.
`----

http://techie-buzz.com/linux-distros/backtrack-linux-distro-white-hat.html

Recent:

VIDEO: BackTrack 4, a Linux distro aimed at penetration testing

,----[ Quote ]
| Having an arsenal of penetration testing tools at the ready -- without having
| to actually install any of them -- is without question a major time-saver for
| information security pros. That's why BackTrack is so popular.
`----

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com.au/contents/35024-Screencast-BackTrack-4-offers-an-arsenal-of-penetration-testing-tools

Security distribution BackTrack 4 with CUDA support

,----[ Quote ]
| The Remote Exploit Team has released a Pre Final version of the BackTrack 4
| (BT4) security distribution (code named 'pwnsauce') as a 1.3 GB ISO image
| file. BackTrack offers a wide range of tools to enable users and
| administrators to test the security of items ranging from web applications to
| RFID systems. These include LAN and WLAN sniffers, password crackers,
| vulnerability scanners, the Metasploit exploit framework and several others.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Security-distribution-BackTrack-4-with-CUDA-support--/news/113579

BackTrack 4 - Hacking galore

,----[ Quote ]
| BackTrack is a powerful hacking suite. It is well made, with stylish touches
| that add to the overall feel of the distribution. It runs very fast in the
| live mode, even faster than most installed distributions. Most importantly,
| the array of tool is rich, well balanced and overall quite impressive.
|
| The Beta version did throw a few errors here and there, but it was nothing
| major. Small consistency issues also arise, and there's the lack of support
| for Ext4, which I expect will be solved soon. Documentation needs to be
| improved, starting with the website SSL certificate and continuing with lots
| of questions regarding the general usage.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/backtrack.html

Backtrack security testing distro another great tool to convince people of
Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Many times I have experienced windows system administrators who just didn't
| care about Linux.
| These people are not against Linux, they just don't have very much of an
| opinion about it.
|
| If I try to convince someone like that, I can take my whole live just trying
| to convince them to even try it.
| But I found a way to make them experience Linux.
`----

http://www.handlewithlinux.com/Backtrack-4-another-great-tool-to-convince-people-to-try-Linux

Backtrack Linux on a Thumbdrive: Can Security Testing Get Any Easier?

,----[ Quote ]
| I have dealt with a lot of Linux distros since I first learned the power of
| my newfound penguin friend. He was free unlike a Microsoft or Apple product,
| had thousands of available programs (also free), and looked damn classy while
| he was in control of my computer.
`----

http://tuxgeek.me/2008/11/backtrack-linux-on-a-thumbdrive-can-security-testing-get-any-easier/

BackTrack4 choose Ubuntu!

,----[ Quote ]
| I talked with Mati Aharoni about new release now in developement, and him say
| to me that has taken the decision to abandon slackware for choose Ubuntu in
| next BackTrack version (4).
`----

http://en.emanuele-gentili.com/index.php/2008/08/18/backtrack4-choose-ubuntu/
http://tinyurl.com/67a7pv

Related:

Review: BackTrack 2 security live CD

,----[ Quote ]
| BackTrack is a live CD Linux distribution that focuses on
| penetration testing. A merger of two older security-related
| distros -- Whax and Auditor Security Collection -- BackTrack
| bundles more than 300 security tools.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/13/1410234&from=rss

Hacking tools: A new version of BackTrack helps ethical hackers

`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/securityadviser/archives/2008/06/hacking_tools_a.html