[News] Advice for GNU/Linux (Ubuntu) Users Going to School

Back To School: Ubuntu Laptop Pick

,----[ Quote ]
| If youâre truly interested in using the Ubuntu operating system I highly
| recommend a pre-installed option over installing on an existing computer.
| Besides the obvious points of compatibility, quality, and cost, i have one
| more. Buying Ubuntu installed computers is the only way to create more Ubuntu
| installed laptop and netbook options in the mainstream marketplace.
`----

http://beginlinux.wordpress.com/2009/08/30/back-to-school-ubuntu-laptop-pick/

4 apps new Ubuntu users should not do without

,----[ Quote ]
| The amount of applications available in the Ubuntu repositories can sometimes
| be overwhelming for a new user who is used to scouring the net for very
| simple applications to run on their Windows platform. To make things simple
| for such users, I have compiled this short list of four applications that new
| users should start their Ubuntu life with whiles they get used to the
| abundance of programs they lacked in Windows.
`----

http://sinaisix.blogspot.com/2009/08/4-apps-new-ubuntu-users-should-not-do.html

Recent:

Technical School changes to Ubuntu and saves Millions

,----[ Quote ]
| The Icelandic National TV channel RUV broadcasted a news story yesterday 11
| August 2009 entitlled:
|
| "NÃtt kerfi sparar milljÃnir" translation "New system saves millions"
`----

http://www.pmabox.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26:technical-school-changes-to-ubuntu-and-saves-milli

Verona's University Migrates 4000 PCs to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Verona is about to become famous for more than just Romeo and Juliet and
| opera: the university of the romantic Italian city is migrating 4000 of its
| desktops to Linux and open source.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Verona-s-University-Migrates-4000-PCs-to-Linux

Computadores para 26 mil escolas

http://portal.mec.gov.br/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12185&Itemid=86

Schools rebooting with Linux system

,----[ Quote ]
| In early 2008, School District No. 33 trustees voted to replace virtually all
| 1,200-or-so computers Chilliwack elementary school students were using for a
| cost about $600,000.
|
| The major challenge, beyond replacing the equipment, has been making sure the
| students and staff know how to use the new gear--more specifically the new
| computers' operating system.
`----

http://www2.canada.com/chilliwacktimes/news/story.html?id=d45d46ab-9a6f-4fa6-a04d-e6bc1cd44bf3

AT: Vienna to teach its public servants about open source desktop

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/at-vienna-to-teach-its-public-servants-about-open-source-desktop