[News] Opinion: Free Software Should be Used More

Underutilization of open-source technologies

,----[ Quote ]
| All open-source projects that fall under the GPL, (General Public License),
| are not given away for free, they are open for the public to use and are
| distributed to the public with the understanding that you will use their
| product for meaningful reasons.
|
| [...]
|
| In realizing what I have just outlined, I am not anti software development
| companies. There is many great products out there that I have bought and paid
| for, and I would buy and pay for again. But the fact of the matter is, why
| pay for something, when you can get it for open?
`----

http://www.examiner.com/x-22216-Madison-Information-Technology-Examiner~y2009m8d30-Underutilization-Of-Open-Source-Technologies

Why would a Googler use Solr for search?

,----[ Quote ]
| All for Good is completely open source, so it makes sense that it would opt
| for open-source Solr over Google Base.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10321751-16.html

Yesterday(ish):

Free Software in the Icelandic Education System

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.fsfi.is/2009/08/free-software-in-the-icelandic-education-system/