[News] Microsoft Front Group Wants to Cut Downloaders Off Web

Business Software Alliance wants in on three-strikes action

,----[ Quote ]
| The Business Software Alliance calls graduated response its preferred plan
| for dealing with online software piracy, but it wants Internet disconnections
| to be overseen by a judge and feature due process and a chance to appeal.
| Well, sort of.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/08/business-software-alliance-wants-in-on-three-strikes-action.ars

Being Unique Is Not The Same As Exclusive (Or Scarce)

,----[ Quote ]
| Taylor Davidson alerts us to an odd blog post with suggestions on how
| photographers need to adapt to the changing market place. As Davidson
| properly notes, there's some good points mixed in there with some really odd
| conclusions. The writer does a decent job explaining how the market has
| shifted -- with the ease of digital production and distribution, the old
| exclusivities have gone away. But, from there, gets confused about what to do
| with it, focusing on trying to build up artificial scarcities or suggesting
| that photographers try to ignore basic economics. That's not going to work.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090824/1035185976.shtml

Recent:

Open Source: One Sure Way To Keep Piracy At Bay

,----[ Quote ]
| The BSA won't tell you that the best way to avoid software piracy is to use
| software that cannot, by definition, be pirated. Then again, the BSA also
| won't tell you that a disgruntled ex-employee decided to make your life
| miserable by giving them a call.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2009/08/the_software_co.html

Don't Copy That Floppy sequel promises prison beatings for copying

,----[ Quote ]
| The BSA are, of course, big proponents of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
| Agreement, which would require signatories to send noncommercial copiers to
| prison, so I suppose that there's something to this threat.
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/07/06/dont-copy-that-flopp-1.html

Is The BSA Purposely Promoting Open Source Alternatives?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, what is the BSA doing? Yes, that's right, it's pumping up its software
| audit program, sending 1,000 audit letters to companies in London, officially
| demanding they detail their software usage -- while unofficially acting as a
| tremendous advertisement for open source software, where providers don't
| treat their customers as if they were criminals.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090602/2302305104.shtml

How many billions is open-source software worth?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/how_many_billions_is_open_source_software_worth