[News] NVIDIA Opens Up to Questions About Linux Kernel Space

Got Any Questions For NVIDIA About Linux?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzQ5Nw

They can stop making up excuses to avoid source code disclosure.

Related:

Nvidia "opens can of whoop-ass" on itself

,----[ Quote ]
| Nvidia is going to lose gobs and gobs of market share this year. They are
| effectively out of notebooks, will lose the high end in days, don't have
| anything close to a competitive line-up, have higher costs than ATI, and have
| to shell out money to keep partners alive. If you think this is bad, wait a
| little.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/02/nvidia-opens-whoop-ass-itself

Kernel space: drivers that don't make the kernel scene

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux supports most hardware "out of the box" without adding a driver. Most
| of the missing drivers are proprietary, from uncooperative manufacturers, but
| there are a few where the license is right but the actual code is still
| missing. Why?
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/062408-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

How NVidia impedes Free Desktop adoption.

,----[ Quote ]
| nvidia.ko: The NVidia driver is the single component in a KDE4 / Free
| Operating system stack causing us most of the hard-to-solve problems. In
| other words, nvidia.ko has grave technical shortcomings.
`----

http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=819

Linux Foundation points finger at Nvidia

,----[ Quote ]
| Though a statement issued Monday does not cite Nvidia by name, Linux
| Foundation Technical Advisory Board Chair James Bottomley cited Nvidia in a
| phone interview. "My intent is to point out the problems Nvidia has been
| causing themselves with their binary-only (drivers)," he said. "They are
| certainly one of the few companies sticking to a binary-only strategy."
| Binary-only means the drivers are essentially closed.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9975720-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Position Statement on Linux Kernel Modules

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Kernel_Driver_Statement

NVidia says no to request to release open source drivers, once again

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2588