[News] New Laws Harm the Internet and Small Companies

Lord Mandelson wants mobile internet fix

,----[ Quote ]
| The 50 pence-a-month levy to pay for better broadband in the countryside, as
| recommended in Lord Carter's Digital Britain report, isn't going to happen.
| Punters won't pay it, and the government isn't going to impose it directly
| before a general election. Meanwhile, the EU requires Britain to permit the
| use of 3G at 900MHz, which can't be done until the ownership of the spectrum
| is sorted out.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/01/mandelson_900mhz/

Dreadful Ruling: Web Hosts Hit With $32 Million Judgment For Content On
Customers' Websites

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead, as Eric Goldman alerts us, the jury has sided with Louis Vuitton and
| awarded the company $32.4 million in damages from the web hosts.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090831/1600056056.shtml

Stopping Start-Ups

,----[ Quote ]
| VARIOUS pieces of legislation now making their way through Congress would
| require private pools of investment capital to be registered with the
| Securities and Exchange Commission. The goal is to curtail abuses and protect
| the public from questionable practices. The proposed laws would cover the
| range of funds that deal in derivatives, auction-rate and mortgage-backed
| securities, highly leveraged transactions and a slew of other instruments so
| complicated as to defy description.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/opinion/31patricof.html?_r=1

AstroTurf still reigns:

Wendell Potter: Rally Against Wall Street's Health Care Takeover

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâm ashamed that I let myself get caught up in deceitful and dishonest PR
| campaigns that worked so well, hundreds of thousands of our citizens have
| died, and millions of others have lost their homes and been forced into
| bankruptcy, so that a very few corporate executives and their Wall Street
| masters could become obscenely rich.
`----

http://www.prwatch.org/node/8532

Recent: