[News] Amazon Breaks Its 'Open' APIs, DRM in Ebooks Lobbied for by Amazon?

Amazon API crackdown neuters book apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Then Elam noticed a similar problem with an aging Windows app known as Album
| Art Aggregator, which provided cover art for his collection of ripped CDs.
| And after a quick web search, he turned up issues with several other Linux
| apps, including Amarok, a music player for the KDE Linux desktop interface,
| and Rhythmbox, a music-management app for the GNOME destktop.
|
| As it turns out, all are victims of a recent change to the Amazon.com data
| API.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/01/amazon_api_change/

Will eBooks Kill Off The Hard-Cover Book?

,----[ Quote ]
| Arnaud Nourry, CEO of French publishing group Hachette Livre told the
| Financial Times that pressure from Googleâs (GOOG) digital library project
| and from the move by Amazon (AMZN), Barnes & Noble (BKS) and others into
| electronic books is forcing publishers to consider drastic price cuts. He
| thinks one result could be the death of hardback books.
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2009/08/31/will-ebooks-kill-off-the-hard-cover-book/

Recent:

SONY goes "Open Kimono" with sexy new e-Readers

,----[ Quote ]
| But unlike Apple, and unlike Amazon, SONYâs readers are both premium in build
| quality and embrace open standards. Rather than choosing to continue on with
| their own proprietary BBeB file format that they have used in the past with
| their PRS-505 and PRS-700BC, of which these new readers are the evolutionary
| successors and use nearly identical software to the previous generation, the
| company has decided to move its e-bookstore to the EPUB standard.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=11016

Amazon Kindle 2 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Works on Linux: The Kindle 2 is detected as a hard drive by Linux, making it
| easy to use with it. Calibre software is installable for most Linux distros,
| and auto detects the Kindle allowing quick syncing of non-Amazon download
| books.
|
| [...]
|
| The Bad
|
| DRM: Books in the Amazon Kindle store are in the AZW DRM-encumbered format.
| What can I say about this that has not been said a thousands times before?
| How can I support DRM and look my look my OSS friends in the eye? Easy, I
| (mostly) donât. 90% of the books on my Kindle are free public domain titles
| or DRM-free titles I purchased from a third party e-bookstore (see above).
|
| [...]
|
| The Ugly
|
| Remote Deletion: In July, Amazon remote deleted thousands copies of 1984
| (Irony, thy name is Amazon) from Kindles, since they did not really have the
| e-books rights for that title.
`----

http://www.mikesplanet.net/2009/08/amazon-kindle-2-review/

Kindle DX Impressions