[News] Vista 7 Fails to Match GNU/Linux in 64-bit

64-Bit Upgrade by Way of Open Source Isn't Bump-Free

,----[ Quote ]
| All of the drivers I need for my machines either come bundled with the Ubuntu
| install disk or sit waiting to be fetched and installed from Ubuntu's
| networked software repositories. Most of these drivers are maintained within
| the Linux kernel projectâan organizational structure that's helped to smooth
| the 64-bit migration path.
|
| What's more, Linux has a rather long history with the x86-64 architecture.
| The first x86-64 OS that I reviewed was SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 8, which
| hit the streets in the first half of 2003, some two years before Microsoft
| took up the platform.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/64Bit-Upgrade-By-Way-of-Open-Source-Isnt-BumpFree-750717/?kc=rss

For a real operating system, avoid the Vista family (Vista and Vista 7).

Guru Tips For The Linux Road Warrior

,----[ Quote ]
| As companies fish around for cost-saving ways to work, your prospect of a
| working in a virtual office, could become a possibility. You may be searching
| for a new job, need to get out of the house to stay sane and know that a cool
| Linux laptop will always draw attention. Or, you might be an extreme Linux
| laptop user that just can't stand the thought of going on vacation, without
| taking a penguin machine along.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/hardware/laptops/42051-guru-tips-for-the-linux-road-warrior

Recent:

Google Chrome 4.0.203.2 Available for Download

,----[ Quote ]
| With the availability of 4.0.203.2, Google continues to indicate its
| commitment to building truly 64-bit Chrome for Linux. The Mountain View
| company is also working to port the V8 JavaScript engine to 64-bit (x64)
| Windows, but has failed to provide an ETA for delivery so far.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Google-Chrome-4-0-203-2-Available-for-Download-120542.shtml

Google's 64-bit Chrome starts emerging on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has begun work on a 64-bit version of Chrome for Linux, a move likely
| to whip Linux loyalists into a lather of excitement.
|
| "The V8 team did some amazing work this quarter building a working 64-bit
| port. After a handful of changes on the Chromium side, I've had Chromium
| Linux building on 64-bit for the last few weeks," said Chrome engineer Dean
| McNamee in a mailing list message Thursday.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62057069,00.htm?scid=rss_z_nw

64-bit Chrome takes centre stage in Linux land

,----[ Quote ]
| Google engineers have been beavering away at a 64-bit version of the
| companyâs Chrome browser for the Linux platform.
|
| According to Chrome developer Dean McNamee, Mountain Viewâs V8 team has been
| tinkering with a Chromium Linux 64-bit for several weeks now. V8, in case you
| were wondering, is the web kingpinâs JavaScript engine.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/21/chrome_64_bit_linux/

No 64-Bit Surfing in Windows 7?

,----[ Quote ]