[News] New Type of Intellectual Monopoly Shows USPTO Needs to be Disbanded

Forget Software Copyrights And Patents... How About Trade Dress?

,----[ Quote ]
| There are already concerns over the fact that software can be covered by both
| copyright and patents, but why not add trade dress to the mix? Via Michael
| Scott we learn that Fidelity is suing a competing company because its
| software looks like Fidelity's, and that the basic look and feel of
| Fidelity's software is protected by trade dress.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090902/0123586074.shtml

Google Granted Patent On Homepage

,----[ Quote ]
| In early 2004, Google's lawyers didn't have nearly enough to do.  A patent on
| the design of Google's homepage (AKA its "[g]raphical user interface for a
| display screen of a communications terminal") that they applied for at that
| time was granted this week.
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2009/09/02/google-granted-patent-on-homepage

Insolite : Google obtient le brevet de sa page d'accueil

http://www.neteco.com/297456-google-brevet-page-accueil.html

Related:

Google Files For Local Search And Mapping Patent In India

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has filed for a patent in India, for a map based local search
| application. This appears to essentially be a patent for Google Local on
| Mobile, a service launched in 2005, and subsequently renamed/replaced by
| Google Maps for mobile.
`----

http://www.medianama.com/2008/10/223-google-maps-local-search-patent-india/

Google seeks patent on networking site