[News] Why Freedom in Proprietary Software (e.g. Apple/Microsoft) Makes No Sense

  • Subject: [News] Why Freedom in Proprietary Software (e.g. Apple/Microsoft) Makes No Sense
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:24:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

First Sale - Davidson v. Internet Gateway

,----[ Quote ]
| Why even spend time on it? Several reasons, actually, which I'll enumerate
| for you, but first, let me ask you a question, those of you who hope that
| EULAs get tossed overboard by this case:
|
|     Why are you looking for freedom in proprietary software?
|
| You won't find it there. Why not instead use and develop Free and Open Source
| software, where you are free of such things as EULAs? No. Seriously. Why not?
| If you want freedom, stay away from proprietary software and you've solved
| all your EULA troubles. GPL code has no EULA.
|
| Oh, my games! My games! I hear some say. I sometimes see comments where
| someone says the only thing they still do on Windows is play games. OK. Do as
| you wish, but then here's another question:
|
|     If you use proprietary software to play proprietary games, why do you
|     expect the courts to care about freedom more than you do?
|
| I want you to realize that proprietary means what it says, so be realistic.
| Courts are set up to protect property rights, including copyrights and
| trademarks and trade secrets and patents. It is what it is. If you want
| freedom in software, you know where you can find it.

Some people still think they are 'free' if they run Firefox in Windows.

What a Tomcat Did to the Mule

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most powerful features of open source is the ability to draw on
| pre-existing code or even projects. This avoids the proverbial re-invention
| of the wheel that has plagued traditional software houses (just how many
| times do people need to write a word processor from scratch?)
|
| It also means that open source startups can build on other free software
| projects to beef up their product portfolios in a rapid and low-cost fashion.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=2482

Recent:

Red Hat plans more hiring after adding 600 employees

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the worst recession in decades, Linux giant Red Hat added 600
| employees to its rolls during the 12 months that ended Feb. 28, and the
| Raleigh company anticipates more hiring going forward, according to a filing
| Wednesday with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
`----

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2009/04/27/daily51.html

Quintiles, SAS, Red Hat among â100 Best Places to Work in ITâ

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=ACBJ&date=20090615&id=10021718