[News] Review of Windows Applications on GNU/Linux, Other Killer Applications for GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Review of Windows Applications on GNU/Linux, Other Killer Applications for GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 22:46:19 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Wine, Linux and Multimedia Software (Part 1)

,----[ Quote ]
| Installing Ubuntu was easy, with all of my hardware being automatically
| detected including my laser printer. I was immediately impressed with how
| simple everything is to use. Some of the software that I used under
| Windows is also available under Linux. Skype, FireFox, and OpenOffice are
| three of my most frequently used applications, and the transition to Linux
| for these applications was painless. However, there remained one
| significant barrier to becoming productive under Linux. Unfortunately, the
| developers of many of my favorite Windows software have decided not to
| release a Linux version. Whilst there are Linux alternatives for many of
| these applications (some of which, no doubt, are just as good or in fact
| even better than what I had been using in the Windows world), this did not
| alter the fact that I would need to learn how a large set of new software
| worked. Do not get me wrong, I love experimenting with fresh software. But
| to be faced with having to learn about so many new applications
| simultaneously was a bit daunting.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20090904192118400/WineMultimedia.html

Creating Pseudo-3D Imagery with GIMP: Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Here again, I would stress that nothing beats a properly planned image,
| that applies to all genres you can think of. Some might think it's a waste
| of precious time to start sitting and planning without having a concrete
| output at the end of the thought process. But believe me, the ideas you
| planned will be far more powerful and beautiful than those ideas you just
| had, when you were just messing around and playing with the tool directly.
`----

http://www.packtpub.com/creating-fake-pseudo-3d-imagery-images-
gimp-1?utm_source=lxer&utm_medium=bookrev&utm_content=news&utm_campaign=mdb_000493

Review: Ubuntu Tweak

,----[ Quote ]
| I never install anything outside of the official Ubuntu software
| repositories unless I am able to audit the source code - this is one of
| the benefits of open-source software. So, I downloaded the Ubuntu Tweak
| .deb file and unpacked it. Everything looked fine so I installed it. The
| installation completed without errors on my Ubuntu 9.04 system so I
| launched the app from a terminal.
`----

http://ardchoille42.blogspot.com/2009/09/review-ubuntu-tweak.html

Arora â completely FLOSS Webkit browser

,----[ Quote ]
| If you want to run a WebKit web browser with no strings attached (unlike
| Safari and Google Chrome), Arora is surely worth a try.
`----

http://opencomputer.net/2009/09/06/arora-completely-floss-webkit-browser/

Recent:

Arora, a refreshing new Qt/WebKit browser

,----[ Quote ]
| The Gentoo Qt maintainers have been doing a fantastic job of getting
cutting
| edge Qt software into shape with the qting-edge overlay.  Iâve been
running
| Qt 4.5 since beta1 and am pleased with the direction it is going.
Recently
| the devs bumped the Arora ebuild to version 0.5.  Arora is a lightweight
| browser based on Qt and WebKit.
`----

http://www.kev009.com/wp/2009/02/arora-a-refreshing-new-qtwebkit-browser/

Arora: A light-weight, cross-platform web browser based on WebKit

,----[ Quote ]
| Arora is an open source web browser that uses the same WebKit rendering
| engine found in Safari and Google Chrome. But unlike those browsers, Arora
is
| already capable of running on Windows, Linux, and OS X, as well as a few
| other platforms including FreeBSD.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/07/30/arora-a-light-weight-cross-platform-
web-browser-based-on-webki/