[News] OpenOffice.org 3.2 Plans Laid Out, University of Osnabrueck Helps GUI Changes

  • Subject: [News] OpenOffice.org 3.2 Plans Laid Out, University of Osnabrueck Helps GUI Changes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 23:48:48 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

What's up in OOo 3.2?

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2 weeks it is planned to branch off the code line for OOo 3.2. A Beta
| will be released based on that version if the members of the release
| status meeting approve it.
|
| Currently the developer milestone DEV300m57 will be uploaded and will be
| available soon. To help checking the new features or finding the new UI
| for translation I created a Wiki page with all integrated feature and
| enhancements (based on the feature announcements).
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/what_s_up_in_ooo2

New: OpenOffice.org 2.4.3 available

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/new_openoffice_org_2_413

Project Renaissance - Support from the University of Osnabrueck

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition to going through gazillions of feedback regarding the
| prototypes on different channels, thinking and discussing further UX
| engineering initiatives, analyzing the data collected using a new, office
| productivity specific version of the IsoMetrics usability questionnaire,
| there are two university projects that we give advice to in parallel.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/project_renaissance_support_from_the

10 Amazing Tricks for Open Office

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Office has carved a niche in the office suite market as the most
| viable alternative for Microsoft Office. It's popularity is contributed to
| the fact that it is a freeware and it supports standard OpenDocument
| Format as well as Microsoft Office formats. With a Microsoft Office like
| interface and all essential features, the Open Office suite has been
| designed to meet the needs of most office environments. It's no wonder
| that small and mid-sized entrepreneurs running on budget are increasingly
| switching to this open source office suite. Open Office 3.0 version was a
| major upgrade and now we have the 3.1 version with enhanced features and
| bug fixes.  Features introduced in the Office Suite includes a vector-
| based drawing environment called Draw, a presentation program called
| Impress, a spreadsheet program called Calc, and several others. With so
| much on offer, you still have a lot to explore in Open Office. To enhance
| your experience with the Office Suite we offer you 10 amazing tricks for
| Open Office.
`----

http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/10-amazing-tricks-for-open-
office/

Recent:

Saving a Billion Using Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| A leading bank in India saved Rs 100 crore by moving from MS Office to
Open
| Office. It is simple mathematicsâif MS Office costs Rs 11,000 per user,
and
| the organization has 1,00,000 desktops, the company would save a cool Rs
110
| crore on licensing costs if it moved to Open Office. Even if we budget Rs
10
| crore for training and support costs, the company would end up saving Rs
100
| crore.
`----

http://networkcomputing.in/Saving-a-Billion-Using-Open-Source-Open-
Mind-001Sept009.aspx

Openoffice.org - Five things MS Office users do not know.

,----[ Quote ]
| High Quality Office Suite.
| OO.org is developed by a worldwide community of people like you and I. You
| can contribute to the development of this great application in so many
ways
| the easiest of which is to donate some few dollars to help cover the cost
of
| development. Having thousands of people develop the application has
resulted
| in a very high quality product due to the fact that lots of people get to
see
| the code,  make corrections and give valuable inputs, with more people
| testing it and giving feedback resulting in a very stable, reliable, high
| quality world class product. There is no secret in the development of
OO.org
`----

http://sinaisix.blogspot.com/2009/08/openofficeorg-five-things-ms-
office.html