[News] Thoughts About Successfully Going Commercial with Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Thoughts About Successfully Going Commercial with Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 23:55:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

David Nuescheler on Commercial Open Source Software

,----[ Quote ]
| At Day we believe in producing a lot of our code ourselves. If we find
| ourselves in a position where we need to develop commodity code that is
| generally applicable and reusable we try to open source as much as
| possible.
`----

http://dev.day.com/microsling/content/blogs/main/commercialopensource.html

Mule is Evolving

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of you may have read our recent press release about the new MuleSoft
| Tcat Server, now in public beta. In a nutshell, the MuleSoft Tcat Server
| is a new web application server that helps system administrators ditch
| their bloated, legacy infrastructure in favor of the lighter weight Apache
| Tomcat, without losing robust enterprise functionality and support. This
| new offering, solves a huge pain-point for our customers and user
| community.
`----

http://blogs.mulesoft.org/2009/09/mule-is-evolving/

Open Source Contract Considerations

,----[ Quote ]
| At Crowd Favorite we work primarily with WordPress, but also with many
| other Open Source projects. We are often working with larger companies
| that have standard Master Services Agreements (MSAs) or Professional
| Services Agreements (PSAs). These agreement templates are designed so that
| these companies have a known legal foundation to work from, and include a
| variety of requirements and terms that apply to the consultants working
| for them and governing the Deliverables created by those consultants.
| These agreements often have standard language in them that have some
| interesting side-effects when you are working with Open Source.
`----

http://alexking.org/blog/2009/07/01/open-source-contract-considerations

Recent:

EU: Over thirty MEPs from seven member states support free software

,----[ Quote ]
| Of the 232 candidates for the European Parliament that pledged their
support
| for free and open source software, 34 have been elected, from Belgium,
| France, Greece, Italy, Spain, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
`----

http://www.osor.eu/news/eu-over-thirty-meps-from-seven-member-states-
support-free-software

Open Source EC Funded Projects: EDOS