[News] Ballmer Goes Head-to-head with GNU/Linux in Education

  • Subject: [News] Ballmer Goes Head-to-head with GNU/Linux in Education
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 00:03:23 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Edubuntu 9.04 vs openSUSE 11.1 Li-f-e

,----[ Quote ]
| I use educational software a lot. As I am the IT admin of a local school
and
| consult for a few more, I get the chance to see the software in action and
| see the results and responses ( as well as hear the complaints and/or
| appreciation when it comes up )
|
| Getting ready for this new school year and needing to update and put new
| installs in, I have thus far boiled it down to two contenders, Ubuntu in
| it's Edubuntu form and openSUSE 11.1 offered in it's Li-f-e version.
`----

http://linuxgeeksunited.blogspot.com/2009/09/edubuntu-904-vs-opensuse-111-
li-f-e.html

Shuttle's new ultra-thin Linux-powered all-in-one

,----[ Quote ]
| Just how thin can computers go? And do we actually care about the girth of
| our desktop tech?
|
| Shuttle Inc certainly seems to think we do, releasing a new ultra-thin
all-
| in-one-PC with a Linux operating system this week.
|
| Shuttle's new X500V has openSUSE Linux 11.1 pre-configured and ready for
| immediate use out of the box. And it isn't a very BIG box, because the
| machine itself is a mere 3.6 cm thin.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/shuttle-s-new-ultra-thin-linux-
powered-all-in-one-632065

Recent:

SUSE Studio: Too Good To Be True?

,----[ Quote ]
| I just built my own Linux distribution through my browser. It can be ran
as a
| Live CD or installed on your system. No, you did read that correctly. I
| actually used Firefox to build my own SUSE-based distro. Sometimes
technology
| throws curveballs at us that are so unbelievable youâd have to read the
| statement several times to realize that you arenât hallucinating. Do you
| think Iâm writing a piece of science fiction? Enter SUSE Studio.
`----

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=766

Hands on with SUSE Studio

,----[ Quote ]
| A Novell employee once told us that, in yesteryear when Novell's marketing
| team were pushing brands faster than their coders were pushing software,
| Novell could easily have switched over to being a T-shirt manufacturing
| company. It seems their love of marketing hasn't died out, because
TuxRadar
| HQ recently accepted delivery of a suspicious box. Upon opening it, we
found
| this:
|
| Inside was a bag containing dozens of different parts, some plastic,
others
| carefully cut foam. Next to that was a card pointing us towards the
assembly
| instructions and, 10 minutes or so later, we were the, er, proud owners of
| one of these:
|
| Great success! And even more fun than building a distro with SUSE
Studio...
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/hands-suse-studio