Re: I'm in Love... KDE 4.3.1

____/ Homer on Tuesday 08 Sep 2009 01:11 : \____

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/02/05/explain_yourself_miguel_demands_rms
/

> [Emphasis indicated with "*" is mine]
>
>> "or to weave GTK and MONO together in such a way that MONO's
>> operation is not impaired but it cannot be removed without wiping out
>>  GTK and the DE at the same time.   Luckily, it was revealed in mid
>> July that contrary to the clams of MONO proponents, and Microsoft's
>> "Promise", the ECMA 334 & 335 standard applied ONLY to  C# and the
>> CLI, but NOT to the GUI parts of MONO."
>
> Indeed "weaving GTK and MONO together" would breach Microsoft's
> "Community Promise", since they explicitly state it "applies only if the
> implementation conforms fully to required portions of the [ECMA]
> specification. Partial implementations are not covered."
>
> So from a licensing perspective, having Mono on one's system is not
> entirely different from having a binary blob from nVidia ... it is just
> as inflexible and encumbered (another similarity being that IIRC .Net
> technology is not licensed for use on architectures other than x86).
>
>> "As I said before, either de Icaza was caught in a lie or he was
>> caught with his pants down, because he and his MONO acolytes had been
>> assuring us that MONO was TOTALLY SAFE from MS IP contamination.  I
>> cannot see him NOT knowing the difference, considering that he has
>> been working hand in hand with Microsoft developers and management
>> for nearly ten years as he recreated .NET in Linux."
>
> And COM, and God knows what other Windows-esque paradigms. This is no
> doubt assisted by his regular attendance at the Microsoft Developer
> Conference, and his equally regular contact with various departments
> within the Redmond HQ (e.g. Port25, Channel9, etc.). It's clear Icaza
> has more friends /inside/ the Vole than elsewhere.
>
> Gnome also has a Windows-style Registry, in the form of GConf, although
> we have Havoc Pennington of Red Hat to "thank" for that one.

To be fair, KDE pondered doing something similar last year. Liquidat
blogged about it.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Slashdot is standard-compliant... in Japan"
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie