[News] Why Google Should Support Ogg and Stop Making up Excuses

  • Subject: [News] Why Google Should Support Ogg and Stop Making up Excuses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 00:29:49 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Myths debunked: YouTube, please use Ogg Theora for HTML 5

,----[ Quote ]
| It's incredible how many people are sympathetic towards Google and Apple's
| opposition of Ogg Theora within the HTML 5 codec debate. Of course, nobody
| expected anything else from Apple, but Google, really? Outside of YouTube, Google
| seems to be very supportive. YouTube may still be somewhat separated from the
| rest of Google. The site still looks more like it did pre-aquisition than it
| looks like a Google project. The Google Chrome web browser, a "pure" Google
| project, supports Theora, and a blog post Google made on the Ogg Theora book
| sprint which specifically makes mention of HTML 5 leads me to wonder if they
| might actually be planning on supporting it.
`----

http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2009/09/myths-debunked-youtube-please-use-ogg.html

Recent:

Linux Needs Open Multimedia on the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| The state of web multimedia on Linux is pitiful. Proprietary codecs, plug-ins
| and closed standards are helping to keep Linux a second rate citizen. What
| Linux needs is not another proprietary framework like Moonlight, but more
| open standards. Can Google help by making YouTube a Theora-fest?
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7483/1.html

Working with Ogg Theora and the video tag

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation's Holmes Wilson is just back from Berlin, where
| he participated in the Ogg Theora book sprint put on by FLOSS Manuals. Here
| is a broad look at Ogg Theora and how it fits into the push for free formats:
| where we're winning, what works, and what could be improved.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/working-with-theora

Open Letter to Mozilla Regarding Their Use of HTML5 Video

,----[ Quote ]
| Simply put, "Video for everybody" uses the &lt;video> tag if your browser
| supports it, using OGG video. If your browser does not support it, it falls
| back to Flash. Is Flash not supported either? QuickTime will be used (which
| allows playback on the iPhone). Don't have QuickTime either? Internet
| Explorer in Windows Vista and up will switch to Windows Media Player.
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story/21700/Open_Letter_to_Mozilla_Regarding_Their_Use_of_HTML5_Video

[whatwg] Google's use of FFmpeg in Chromium and Chrome

,----[ Quote ]
| Saving a megabyte here and there is less important than having a video
| format that is free and open for all to use. Dailymotion.com has
| understood this and their recent offerings using <video> and Ogg
| Theora is laudable [1]. This was exactly what I've been hoping for,
| and arguing for, since the <video> element was proposed [2][3].
|
| [1] http://blog.dailymotion.com/2009/05/27/watch-videowithout-flash/
| [2] http://people.opera.com/howcome/2007/video/
| [3] http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5545573096553082541
|
| At Google, you have a unique opportunity to be part of this. You have
| the video clips, the disks, the processing power, and the talent to
| launch a service that will firmly establish <video> and Ogg Theora as
| the video solution for the web.
|
| However, it seems that Google doesn't care much for having a free and
| open video format. Most of the bits you put out on the web are in
| patent-encumbered formats, and this doesn't seem to bother you.
| Rather, you promote patent-encumbered formats in your new experimental
| service [4].
`----

http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-June/020254.html

HTML 5: Could it kill Flash and Silverlight?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.infoworld.com/print/79291