[News] FSF at FRhack, Free Software Message Extended in "Freedomware"

  • Subject: [News] FSF at FRhack, Free Software Message Extended in "Freedomware"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 01:10:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

FRhack in live !

,----[ Quote ]
| Below, youâll find the live report of FRhack international conference
| in BesanÃon, for the first day.  But here is a snall overview of the
| contents of this conference (in french, sorry !), ripped from the local
| news...
`----

http://bruno.kerouanton.net/blog/2009/09/06/frhack-in-live/

The Stallman Paradox

,----[ Quote ]
| Until society can resolve what I will call for the first time the
| âStallman Paradoxâ, where learning and access enabling technologies,
| such as for example digital books, conversely disables the freedom to
| read and hence more than negates the actual benefits of said access,
| the rush to embrace all digital libraries and textbooks is a rush to a
| new dark ages.
|
| [...]
|
| The logical solution is one where the right to read and think, and to
| share knowledge, is not made into a good that only few will be able to
| experience. In the European dark age, education was an exclusive
| privilege enabled only for a very few. While most societies today now
| recognize that universal education is both a right and a need, the use
| of mandated digitally restricted e-book solutions for education could
| well return societies to a new dark age.
`----

http://planet.gnu.org/gnutelephony/?p=5

The Freedomware Project Manifesto

,----[ Quote ]
| In addition, large software corporations often inhibit sharing of ideas
| by not allowing the user to share the software with other people.
| Software patents exist in order to prevent individuals from outdoing
| the large organizations who wish to retain that âcompetitive edge.â
| Having the source code was out of the question, and woe be unto those
| who shared copies with other people, despite the fact that the software
| in question was vastly overpriced. This is why organizations such as
| the Free Software Foundation and the Open Source Initiative exists.
`----

http://www.freedomwareproject.org/index.html

Related:

Freedomware?

,----[ Quote ]
| Freedomware is not intended as a term to replace Free Software or Open
Source

`----

http://thetuxproject.com/freedomware_defined