[News] Linux 2.6.31 is Released Packed with Great New Features

  • Subject: [News] Linux 2.6.31 is Released Packed with Great New Features
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:27:19 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux 2.6.31

,----[ Quote ]
| Ok, there's just a few final commits since -rc9 to fix a couple of last
| regressions and problems, and now the final 2.6.31 is out there. The small
| diffstat and shortlog is below, the full log and diff from 2.6.30 are
| being uploaded to kernel.org (and then mirrored out) as I write this.
| In general, the full set of 2.6.30->31 changes are too numerous to list,
| but as usual, you'll find some high-level overviews on kernelnewbies.org.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/9/9/357

Linux Kernel 2.6.31 released

,----[ Quote ]
| As announced on the LKML mailing list at just past 11pm yesterday, Linus
| Torvalds has released Linux 2.6.31.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/145158

Recent:

Linux 2.6.31-rc9

,----[ Quote ]
| I know I said I'd just release the final 2.6.31 when I was done diving,  but
| there were more pull requests while I was away than I'm comfortable with at
| this stage. So I'm doing an -rc9 to let it simmer for a couple of days and
| get some last-minute testing before doing the final release.

Linux 2.6.31 Kernel Is Ready With -RC8 Release

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux 2.6.31 kernel brings ATI kernel mode-setting support for the R500
| (Radeon X1000) graphics cards and earlier as a staging driver, TTM GPU
| memory
| management support as part of the ATI KMS push, adds support for USB 3.0, a
| performance counter subsystem, new hardware drivers, and other changes.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzQ4Ng

Kernel Improvements, Controversies Will Be Focus of Roundtable

,----[ Quote ]
| I think the next releases of GNOME and KDE are pushing us much farther along
| towards the leading edge here, and I'm interested to see what actually
| emerges as viable technology for the next generation of user interfaces.
`----

http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/kernel-improvements-controversies-
will-be-focus-roundtable

Linux 2.6.31-rc6