[News] Another Massive Failure for Intellectual Monopolies

  • Subject: [News] Another Massive Failure for Intellectual Monopolies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 01:22:35 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Israeli Claims Patent Over Adding .com To The End Of The Address Bar

,----[ Quote ]
| TechCrunch points us to a story about an Israeli company by the name of
| Netex who is claiming a patent over "www.addressing." What's that?
| Well, apparently it's the process of simply adding a ".com" to the end
| of a word you put in a browser address bar. There are all sorts of
| questions raised by this, and the reporting at the Israeli site
| Ynetnews leaves a lot to be desired. First, neither Ynetnews nor
| TechCrunch point to the actual patent. I've been searching on both the
| supposed inventor's name (Aviv Refuah) and his company's name and I
| can't find it. If anyone out there can find the actual patent, please
| post a link in the comments.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090909/0009166136.shtml

STRIP FOR Sep 9, 2009

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2009-09-09/

Dilbert Takes On Overbearing Patents

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090909/0253376139.shtml

Patent Holder Takes A Second Crack At Toyota Over Hybrid Technology

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090909/0335216141.shtml

Toyota Patent Trade Case May Threaten Hybrid Imports

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=abn6ZQVtClP4

Toyota Patent Trade Case May Threaten Hybrid Imports

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/09/toyota-prius-faces-ban-due-to-us-patent-suit.php

Recent:

The Way Forward On Intellectual Property For China And India

,----[ Quote ]
| The continued development of the knowledge economies in both China and India
| requires thoughtful, practical policies that will give the needed incentive
| and capacity to innovators while providing benefits to as many as possible.
| In contrast to the beliefs of many, further strengthened intellectual
| property rights are unlikely to provide a positive impact on the economies of
| China and India. Instead, the two emerging giants should dedicate maximum
| attention to the other ingredients of a knowledge economy while structuring,
| to every extent possible under international treaty obligations, their
| domestic intellectual property regime to provide the optimum balance between
| incentives and access, bearing in mind that to diffuse the gains from
| existing innovations, the latter is to be favored.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090601/0607265081.shtml

Careful What You Ask For: China's Patent System Causing Trouble

,----[ Quote ]
| All those foreign nations who kept pushing China to build up its own patent
| system and learn to "respect intellectual property" may soon be regretting
| that, as they're suddenly blocked out of the Chinese market by Chinese firms
| who fast-tracked cheap utility patents themselves with little to no review.
| Be careful what you wish for.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090826/1354186007.shtml

Beijing ruling shows why foreign companies need a patent strategy for China

,----[ Quote ]
| When France's Schneider Electric faced a patent battle in a Chinese court
| recently it had reason to feel confident. It thought it had a solid prior art
| case for invalidating the patent being used against it by Chinese firm Chint,
| and foreign companies win 95% of patent cases in the Chinese courts.
`----

http://www.out-law.com//default.aspx?page=10323

Strange patent filed in China: Method to boot Linux OS from mobile harddisk

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.kernel.sg/blog/2008/01/20/strange-patent-filed-in-china-method-to-boot-linux-os-from-mobile-harddisk/