[News] GNU/Linux Has Large Variety of CAD Applications, Newsgroup Readers

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Has Large Variety of CAD Applications, Newsgroup Readers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:32:07 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

CAD Programs for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Often, when I ask why users donât adopt Linux, I am met with the response
| âThere are no CAD (Computer Aided Design) applications. Now I will confess
| that I know next to nothing about CAD, so I thought I would take a moment to
| highlight some of the CAD applications available for the Linux operating
| system, show how they are installed and started, highlight their features,
| and then let those that know CAD well report on how successful (or not) they
| are. Sort of a user-generated showdown if you will.
`----

http://www.ghacks.net/2009/09/11/cad-programs-for-linux/

Group test: newsreaders

,----[ Quote ]
| Knode is very complete and has probably the most flexible scoring system of
| any app in this Roundup, with XPN coming a close second. Because of this
| KNode may be the best solution if you follow several text-only newsgroups.
| Another advantage of KNode is that it lets you share address books and other
| email-related settings with KMail or the rest of the Kontact PIM, the KDE
| personal information manager.
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/group-test-newsreaders

Recent:

Free powerful CAD software achieves record numbers, big Linux following

,----[ Quote ]
| MEDUSA4 Personal is a fully featured advanced drafting system with smart
| editing and drafting power tools, basic 3D, parametrics, and even a Sheet
| Metal Design module. It supports Windows as well as six different Linux
| distributions (CentOS, Fedora, Mandriva, RedHat, SuSE and Ubuntu) .
`----

http://www.firmenpresse.de/pressrelease1816.html

Free 2D/3D CAD on Windows and Linux - MEDUSA4 Personalâ Version 3.1 Release

,----[ Quote ]
| CAD Schroer Group (CSG), the global engineering solutions provider, today
| announced the latest release of its free personal use version of the powerful
| MEDUSA4 design automation suite, available for Windows and six different
| Linux distributions. The industry-proven 2D/3D CAD solution now also includes
| the MEDUSA4 Smart Drafting Tool (a new way of creating geometry without
| construction lines), along with many additional enhancements.
`----

http://www.pr.com/press-release/125239

SofTech Announces Linux Support with Latest CADRA Release

,----[ Quote ]
| SofTech, Inc., a proven provider of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) and
| computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM) solutions, announced that
| its latest CADRA(R) 2008 CAD/CAM release supports the Red Hat Enterprise
| Linux WS Version 4 operating system.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/softech-announces-linux-support-latest/story.aspx?guid=%7B2D8CC156-CA13-4704-AB45-4987A3CE391D%7D&dist=hppr
http://tinyurl.com/6ls6op

Related:

Would You Use Proprietary Software Ported to GNU/Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Justas IngeleviÄius wrote in about an Autodesk international user group poll
| about non-Windows ports.
|
| [...]
|
| Itâs easy to predict that this conversation will happen more frequently and
| with greater volume. (I imagine something similar happened when Windows NT
| was worth using and much, much cheaper than high-end UNIX workstations.)
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/09/would_you_use_proprietary_soft_1.html

Autodesk Launches Autodesk Toxik 2008 Software for Feature Film Visual Effects

,----[ Quote ]
| Toxik 2008 is available as a stand-alone product on both the Windows and
| Linux operating systems. It offers greater interoperability with Autodesk
| Maya 3D modeling, animation and rendering software, thereby helping artists
| combine 2D and 3D techniques to solve complex production problems,
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQW18801082007-1.htm

Autodesk F1Q08 (Qtr End 4/30/07) Earnings Call Transcript

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/35916?source=feed

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at major
| animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or more]
| penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told LinuxInsider.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html

64 Bit Psyborg Extreme Graphics Workstation Now with SUSE Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| 08/20/2006 - Psychsoftpc announces that the 64 Bit Psyborg Extreme
| Graphics Workstation is now available with the new 64 bit SUSE Linux
| Enterprise Desktop 10.
`----

http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/7818/

Over 100 Additional Post-production Facilities Adopt Autodesk's Visual
Effects and Editing/Finishing Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| In April 2006, Autodesk transitioned its visual effects and
| editing/finishing systems from SGI-based workstations to workstations
| running the Linux operating system.
|
| [...]
|
| "The migration of Autodesk systems to the Linux platform has been a
| great success," said Stig Gruman, Autodesk's Media & Entertainment
| vice president of systems. "This operating system allows Autodesk to
| take advantage of rapid, continuous improvements to commodity
| hardware components such as central processing units, graphics
| cards, and Infiniband networking technology."
`----

http://www.kpth.com/home/6888347.html

Open source creeps into mapping software

,----[ Quote ]
| Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL), MapGuide Open
| Source enables organizations to develop and distribute spatial and design
| data over the Web.
|
| [...]
|
| "We think there is a direct analogy between what's happening in Web
| mapping [software market], and what happened with Web servers in the
| beginning," Zeiss said, noting that the trend toward commoditization
| had convinced Autodesk to contribute MapGuide Open Source to the OSGF.
|
| "This was a strategic way of creating a much bigger market than we could
| have ever created with a closed-source product," he added.
|
| With an open source product on its cards, Zeiss said Autodesk is also
| following the footsteps of other open-source software vendors--that is,
| to charge for premium services and support.
|
| [...]
|
| "To open-source AutoCAD will be giving away valuable trade secrets to
| competitors. There's no prospect for doing that at all," he explained.
|
| IDC noted in a June 2006 report that it is too early to assess the
| long-term impact of Autodesk's open source strategy. "But initial
| indications are that geospatial users and the open source community are
| responding positively, perhaps to the point of shifting Web-based
| geospatial interfaces to a predominantly open source model," the
| analyst company said.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,61952140,00.htm

Australia and New Zealand Visual Effects Industries Support Autodesk's Move
to Linux-based Systems Products

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past two years, Autodesk has transitioned its Media and
| Entertainment systems products from running on proprietary,
| high-end SGI workstations to running on Linux-based personal
| computers (PCs).  To date, more than 30 Autodesk Linux-based
| systems seats have been installed in Australia and New Zealand.
`----

http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=98344

Asia Pacific Digital Content Creators and Broadcasters Turn to Autodesk's
Linux-based Solutions

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.dmnnewswire.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=110125