[News] KDE Gets Faster, Better, More Applications

  • Subject: [News] KDE Gets Faster, Better, More Applications
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:42:27 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

[Qt] SVG: parsing and content optimization

,----[ Quote ]
| Still, I decided to have a look, just in case there are low-hanging fruits
| I can grab. And I was right, far from being an SVG expert, with just two
| days of work I managed to squeeze its performance a bit, which you'd enjoy
| already in the recent 4.6 preview.
|
| [...]
|
| As you can see, Qt 4.6 would enjoy a bit of speed-up (in some cases up to
| 1.4x) when loading and parsing SVG.
`----

http://ariya.blogspot.com/2009/09/svg-parsing-and-content-optimization.html

scripting plasma-desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the (many) goals for the Plasma project in KDE 4.4 is to make
| management of the Plasma Desktop Shell (plasma-desktop) easier by
| introducing a power tool: an ECMA Script environment.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/09/scripting-plasma-desktop.html

Kubuntu apps repraise

,----[ Quote ]
| Some of you might have noticed that recently two new Kubuntu apps hit the
| CD for the upcoming 9.10 release.
`----

http://apachelog.blogspot.com/2009/09/kubuntu-apps-repraise.html

Recent:

Fast Compositing with KDE4 and FGLRX

,----[ Quote ]
| After a much heated discussion about how to fix the horrible resizing and
| performance bug with FGLRX and KDE4, no one knew where to start looking. The X
| team had to do a little digging; the KDE4 team needed to change somethings; the
| FGLRX warehouse needed to get their shit together and listen to the usersâ bla
| bla bla the flame wars raged on, fingers were pointed, and nothing ever got done.
`----

http://blog.jasondonenfeld.com/190

Multimedia frameworks in Qt

,----[ Quote ]
| Iâve also started the work on an advanced configuration dialog for Phonon-Xine,
| like the Xine configuration dialog in Codeine (the Xine-based video player in KDE
| 3), exposing all the available options, without having to edit the config file by
| hand.
`----

http://martinsandsmark.wordpress.com/2009/09/07/multimedia-frameworks-in-qt/

LiveCD with KDE 4.3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| David Palacio prepared a KDE 4.3.0 livecd with help of the pkg-kde and
| live-helper teams. You can download it via BitTorrent, fetch the Torrent file
| from here!.
`----

http://news.debian.net/2009/08/09/livecd-with-kde-4-3-0/

First Look: KDE 4.3.0 - A smooth desktop experience

,----[ Quote ]
| On the 4th of August, 2009, the KDE community released KDE 4.3.0, delivering
| its user base the first iteration of this next-generation KDE desktop
| environment. It boasts a modern and beautiful desktop, with over 10,000 bugs
| fixed and close to 2,000 features implemented over the older versions, such
| as the more buggy KDE 4.2.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Look-KDE-4-3-0-118684.shtml

KDE 4.3 âCaizenâ Review

,----[ Quote ]
| That probably covers the main features in the release especially the ones
| Iâve liked. Overall its is stable and the KDE developers themselves have
| said â âKDE 4.3 offers a more stable and complete product for the home and
| small office.â I think this was the release we were all waiting for in terms
| of stability and features as well.
`----

http://terminalvariant.co.cc/2009/08/kde-4-3-caizen-review/

Hands-on: KDE 4.3 delivers a Social Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4.3 was released this week with a number of intriguing improvements. Ars
| test the new version, which introduces KDE's Social Desktop initiative, an
| effort to bring social networking integration to the popular desktop
| environment.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2009/08/hands-on-kde-43-delivers-a-social-desktop.ars

KDE Community Delivers Incremental Innovations With New KDE 4.3 Release

,----[ Quote ]
| The KDE Community today announces the immediate availability of "Caizen",
| (a.k.a KDE 4.3), bringing many improvements to the user experience and
| development platform. KDE 4.3 continues to refine the unique features brought
| in previous releases while bringing new innovations. With the 4.2 release
| aimed at the majority of end users, KDE 4.3 offers a more stable and complete
| product for the home and small office.
`----

http://kde.org/announcements/4.3/index.php

A first look at KDE 4.3