[News] Why GNU/Linux Already Still Beats Vista 7 (Not Existent Yet) on Sub-notebooks

  • Subject: [News] Why GNU/Linux Already Still Beats Vista 7 (Not Existent Yet) on Sub-notebooks
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:05:30 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Choosing the Right Linux Netbook + Why You Should Avoid Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux distro:
|
| What's good about Linux is that you have plenty of flavors to choose
| from. The most widely used distros on netbooks are Xandros, SUSE,
| Linpus, and Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Each of them has different features so
| I recommend picking the one that you are comfortable with. Donât worry;
| Linux is as easy as using Windows these days.
|
| Why You Should Avoid Windows 7:
|
| With all the positive reviews that I've read about Windows 7, I still
| want you stay away from it if you are planning to buy a netbook. Why?
| Though it's a trimmed-down version of Vista, it is still a resource hog.
| Like, its minimum recommended RAM requirement is 1 GB.
`----

http://www.junauza.com/2009/09/choosing-right-linux-netbook-and-why.html

Netbooks? Oh Yes, They Are Enterprise Grade

,----[ Quote ]
| Think about it. The old, small Sony Vaios (like my old Sony Vaio
| Picturebook) were netbooks in every way but name. Sony sees itself as
| one of the pioneers of netbooks, but one that gets little or no credit
| for it. So out of spite they refuse to use the term to describe their
| netbooks.
|
| But whatever you call them, there are definitely netbooks out there that
| are enterprise ready.
`----

http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/comment/netbooks--oh-yes--they-are-enterprise-grade-1802

Netbook OSes: Which will rule the enterprise?

,----[ Quote ]
| Netbooks is a "category with legs," says Stephen O'Grady, an analyst
| with Seattle-based consultancy RedMonk, pointing to recent market
| activity as an indicator of the netbook's viability. Most obvious, he
| says, is Google's decision to build a separate Linux-based operating
| system -- Chrome OS -- specifically for netbooks. Meantime, Microsoft is
| grappling with "hard questions about its OS pricing relative to
| netbooks," and virtually every major hardware maker, apart from Apple
| Inc., has an offering in the category.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9137773/Netbook_OSes_Which_will_rule_the_enterprise_

Recent:

Windows 7 Starter Edition Is Too Wimpy for New Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/170701/windows_7_starter_edition_is_too_wimpy_for_new_netbooks.html