[News] Windows Machines Have Many Options for Quick Boot with GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Windows Machines Have Many Options for Quick Boot with GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 00:02:23 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Get Connected to the Internet Quickly with Instant-On Operating Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Presto Chango
|
| One option is Presto, a version of Xandros Linux. Presto should work with
| most systems (we got it working easily both on a newly purchased new MSI
| Wind netbook and a five-year-old Dell Inspiron notebook). As important, it
| includes drivers for a number of common Wi-Fi chipsets from Atheros,
| Broadcom, Intel, and Ralink.
|
| When installed, Presto sets up your system to dual-boot with Windows, but
| it doesn't require partitioning the hard drive to do so. When you run it
| you'll find a simple desktop interface with connectivity utilities like
| Firefox for Web browsing, Pidgin for instant messaging, and Skype for VoIP,
| and you can download a wide range of other applications as well. Presto
| will import Firefox bookmarks from your Windows profile, as well as let you
| open and edit Microsoft Office files stored on the system. (The
| OpenOffice.org suite is included.)
`----

http://practicallynetworked.com/howto/instant_on_operating_systems.htm

Ballnux.

Recent:

Presto Saws Your Startup Time in Half (Or More)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/PrimalScreen/story?id=8184864&page=1