Re: exFAT -- Microsoft's latest Linux killer?

____/ nessuno on Saturday 12 Sep 2009 11:24 : \____

> On Sep 11, 2:07 pm, Richard Rasker <spamt...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> A few days ago, I received a help call from one of my users, complaining how
>> she couldn't read the USB drive she borrowed from a family member; it
>> simply wouldn't mount.
>>
>> At first I thought that the device had simply crapped out, but the owner
>> insisted that it was working fine on his Vista machine.
>>
>> After some research I found out that this particular drive had been
>> formatted with something called exFAT. And after some more research into
>> exFAT it would appear that this new file system, while offering significant
>> improvements over FAT32, neatly fits in Microsoft "competition killer"
>> line-up of OOXML and SilverLight:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT
>>
>> "exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table) is a proprietary, patent-pending[1]
>> file system suited especially for flash drives, introduced by Microsoft
>> for embedded devices in Windows Embedded CE 6.0 and in their desktop
>> operating system, Windows Vista Service Pack 1.[3]"
>>
>> http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2009/08/some-answers-fr.html
>>
>> "Q: Tuxera is an open-source company-- is the new exFAT driver OSS? Will
>> Linux and other FOSS operating system users be able to use it?
>> A: Our agreement with Microsoft does not allow us to develop an open
>> source exFAT driver at the moment.
>> Q: Who the heck thought it was a good idea invent yet another filesystem
>> (exFAT), and then make it a closed proprietary filesystem?
>> A: Ask Microsoft. ..."
>>
>> In short: There's no unencumbered Linux support for exFAT on the horizon
>> yet. And then there's this:
>>
>> http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Tuxera-Closes-ExFAT-Patent-...
>>
>> "The SD Association, an alliance of more than 1,100 companies using SD
>> technology, had selected the Microsoft filesystem standard for its SDXC
>
> Microsoft...Standard?  Isn't that an oxymoron?

"[W]e should take the lead in establishing a common approach to UI and to
interoperability (of which OLE is only a part). Our efforts to date are focussed
too much on our own apps, and only incidentally on the rest of the industry. We
want to own these standards, so we should not participate in standards groups.
Rather, we should call 'to me' to the industry and set a standard that works now
and is for everyone's benefit. We are large enough that this can work."

	---Microsoft
	http://boycottnovell.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/px09509.pdf

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    #00ff00 Day - Basket Case
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie