[News] Benchmarks of the New Linux Scheduler from Con Kolivas

  • Subject: [News] Benchmarks of the New Linux Scheduler from Con Kolivas
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:25:13 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

BFS Scheduler Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| While BFS lost with the Threaded I/O Tester disk benchmark, it won with the
| PostMark test profile. The BFS scheduler delivered just fewer than 5% more
| transactions per second than the Completely Fair Scheduler.
|
| Nine tests carried out on a single low-end system (we may carry out more tests
| on multiple systems if there is sufficient interest) is not enough to call one
| scheduler better than the other.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=bfs_scheduler_benchmarks&num=1

Recent:

Con Kolivas returns with a new scheduler

,----[ Quote ]
| Con Kolivas, who worked on desktop interactivity issues in the past before
| storming off in 2007, has posted a new scheduler called BFS. "It was designed
| to be forward looking only, make the most of lower spec machines, and not
| scale to massive hardware. ie it is a desktop orientated scheduler, with
| extremely low latencies for excellent interactivity by design rather
| than 'calculated', with rigid fairness, nice priority distribution and
| extreme scalability within normal load levels."
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/350100/

Linus Torvalds in Live Streaming from LinuxCon

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation will be holding its first LinuxCon conference from
| September 21 through 23 in Portland, Oregon. Linus Torvalds and Mark
| Shuttleworth will be among the speakers, and Linux Pro Magazine Online will
| do a live stream, free for the keynotes.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/News/Linus-Torvalds-in-Live-Streaming-from-LinuxCon

Related:

CFS scheduler to appear in Linux kernel 2.6.23

,----[ Quote ]
| And also credit where credit's due, Con Kolivas was the first one to
| prove via RSDL/SD that 'fair scheduling' is possible and that it
| results in better desktop scheduling.
`----

http://www.linuxinsight.com/cfs-scheduler-to-appear-in-linux-kernel-2.6.23.html

Linux: Revisiting Swap Prefetch

,----[ Quote ]
| Another thread discussed potentially merging the swap prefetch patch
| into the mainline Linux kernel. Con Kolivas started the thread saying
| "I fixed all bugs I could find and improved it as much as I could last
| kernel cycle. Put me and the users out of our misery and merge it now
| or delete it forever please."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/11748

Linux: Linus On CFS vs SD