[News] Best Linux 2.6.31 Features Listed, Preparations Made for LinuxCon

  • Subject: [News] Best Linux 2.6.31 Features Listed, Preparations Made for LinuxCon
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:25:11 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux 2.6.31's best five features

,----[ Quote ]
| 2) Improved desktop speed. Due to some recent changes in the
| kernel, when Linux systems started running out of memory, the
| kernel was set up so that PROT_EXEC pages, memory pages that
| usually belong to currently running foreground programs were being
| mishandled. Instead of being kept in the memory cache, they were
| being written to disk until they were needed. As anyone who's ever
| done system optimization knows, the last place you want frequently
| accessed or active desktop programs is on disk. In a worst case
| scenario, your performance can slow down by 1000% or more. Yuck!
|
| But now, Linux's memory management has been improved so that
| currently running programs stay on top of the list of active memory
| pages. Technical benchmarks show that netbook users and other
| people who run Linux on limited memory systems can except to see a
| desktop that's up to 50% faster than it's been in the recent past.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14726/linux_2_6_31s_best_five_features

LinuxCon Keynote Series: An Interview with IBMâs Bob Sutor

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: What are you most looking forward to at the debut year of
| LinuxCon?
|
| A: I always try to get an early sense of the vibe of a conference.
| Is there excitement among the participants? Are people looking
| forward to creating more technical innovation and greater business
| growth? Is the community expanding? Are there grand challenges that
| developers are ready to leap into? I think Iâll see, hear, and feel
| all that at LinuxCon. Iâm also looking to meet in person many of
| the people involved with the Linux Foundation.
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/amanda/2009/09/14/linuxcon-keynote-series-an-interview-with-ibms-bob-sutor/

Recent:

LinuxCon announces speakers