[News] Kerala Builds E-mail System with Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Kerala Builds E-mail System with Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 22:33:21 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Kerala's new IT revolution: 'Email to All Employees'

,----[ Quote ]
| In a unique venture in the country, all state government employees
| in Kerala have been initiated into the world wide web with the
| state government initiating its 'Email to All Employees' project.
|
| The new initiative was kicked off today by the Chief Minister of
| Kerala, V.S.Achuthanandan. The Kerala State IT Mission is the
| agency implementing the project.
|
| [...]
|
| The project has been developed on the Free and Open Source Software
| (FOSS) platform, configured and tested for hardware and software
| and finally rolled out by the Centre for the Development of Imaging
| Technology (C-DIT) led by P Gigy, team leader, Open Source
| Technology Team.
`----

http://news.ciol.com/News/News-Reports/Keralas-new-IT-revolution-Email-to-All-Employees/15909125076/0/

Recent:

Kerala NiyamaSabha Website published Tender for Purchasing GNU/Linux Preloaded
Laptops to 141 Members of Kerala Legislative assembly

,----[ Quote ]
| The Tender Demands Ubuntu 9.04 Preloaded & Ubuntu compatible / Certified
| Laptops as Requirements
`----

http://anivar.movingrepublic.org/2009/gnulinuxlaptops-to-kerala-mla

Acer's Festive Offers on Notebooks, PCs in Kerala

,----[ Quote ]
| Acer said that the Acer Travelmate 4530 notebook will be available under this
| offer. The notebook features an AMD Turion RM70 processor, a 2GB DDR II RAM,
| a 160GB HDD, and a 14.1" wide screen TFT. It also has a DVD writer, a 5-in-1
| card reader, Bluetooth, and runs on Linux-based OS. It also has a gigabit LAN
| and Disk Antishock Protection (DASP) Technology with Backpack. The Acer
| Travelmate 4530 comes with a one-year warranty for Rs. 30,385, plus taxes.
`----

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Acers_Special_Festive_Offers_in_Kerala/551-101053-893.html

FSF India sends letter to Education Minister of Kerela

,----[ Quote ]
| Subject: Forcing schools to use proprietary software illegally
|
| During the last few decades, Kerala has been following a unique development
| path that has been considered a model for the rest of the country and even
| other underdeveloped countries. Kerala, again showed a model to the world
| with its vision to build an inclusive Knowledge society. Its IT Policy
| clearly states that the "Government realizes that Free Software presents a
| truly unique opportunity in building a truly egalitarian knowledge society.
| The Government will take all efforts to develop Free Software and Free
| Knowledge and shall encourage and mandate the appropriate use of Free
| Software in all ICT initiatives." (section 2.10, IT Policy document, Kerala
| Govt.)
|
| We congratulate the government for its efforts to support Free Software and
| free knowledge initiatives. Schools, KSEB, Kerala State Khadi Board etc.
| successfully completed their migration to Free Software. Public sector
| initiatives like Keltron are doing mega projects completely in Free Software.
| With these examples, the state showed that "Free Software" is a feasible
| technological alternative to any proprietary technology.
`----

http://www.gnu.org.in/fsf-india-sends-letter-to-education-minister-of

Related:

All set for Linux usersâ meet

,----[ Quote ]
| The new and most exciting development in Free and Open Source Software (FOSS)
| scene, no doubt, is the launch of Mozilla Firefox 3, a FOSS Application for
| Internet browsing that provides better speed, security and flexibility.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2008/06/20/stories/2008062050950200.htm

Kerala Blazing the Trail for FOSS in Schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Kerala is all set to become the first state in the country to completely
| banish Microsoft and allow only GNU/Linux free software to be used in the
| mandatory IT test at the state SSLC examinations that half a million students
| took in March. Till last year, they could take the exam using either free
| software or the Microsoft platform. Not anymore'.
`----

http://educatorslog.in/kerala_blazing_the_trail_for_foss_in_schools

Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago, the Government formally ordered that only free Linux-based
| software should be used for IT education in high schools, using new the Linux
| text books developed by State Council for Educational Research and Training
| and the Free Software Foundation of India.
`----

http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html

Adventures with Neko

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently, a few of us had a discussion about translating the book to
| Malayalam. GNU/Linux is now available in a lot of schools - and a local
| language version would be a boon to many smart kids who are capable of
| learning things by themselves.
`----

http://pramode.net/2008/01/06/adventures-with-neko/

The Story of Free Software in Kerala, India

,----[ Quote ]
| We saw how Free Software has come to stay in Kerala. The natural question
| this raises is, âWhy Kerala?â There is no other state in the country where
| Free Software has made an impact that is anywhere near that in Kerala.
`----

http://swatantryam.blogspot.com/2007/08/story-of-free-software-in-kerala-india.html

Kerala On Linux Express Highway

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
| express highway.
|
| [...]
|
| If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
| sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/fullnews.asp?edid=16139&magid=11

âLinux is more stable, it is crash resistant, and its compatibility and
interoperability is as high as Microsoftâ

,----[ Quote ]
| Here is what Wassan has to say on the strategic equilibrium that he is
| working on for government and enterprises. He feels it is vital for
| opening up an opportunity for Linux to compete and develop a stronghold
| on the market
|
| [...]
|
| Majority of the schools in Kerala, for instance, have already switched over
| to Linux and this has been possible only with the help of government support.
| Moreover, 18 of 28 Indian states use Linux or have pilot projects for to be
| used in government departÂments and education sector.
|
| [...]
|
| We have developed a partnerÂship with eSys India who already has its own base
| of large number of channel partners. Our products and software are supplied
| to the end-customers through the retail partners of eSys. We are in a
| dialogue to develop alliances with more and more distributors so that our
| reach to the customers is increased.
`----

http://dqchannels.ciol.com/content/ceospeak/107070601.asp

Students develop supercomputer

,----[ Quote ]
| Team leader C. Mahesh said that Dakshina, with Linux operating system, is a
| platform to deliver excellent performance for users who seek high computer
| power and resource in a multitasking environment. Dakshina utilises message
| passing interface for a fault tolerant communication between the
| computational nodes. It also utilises parallelism technologies like
| multicore, multithreading and cluster of workstations.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/06/stories/2007110650920200.htm

FOSS India Awards: Name It To Claim It

,----[ Quote ]
| According to openITis.com, "By creating a platform for Indian developers to
| showcase their contributions, we hope to wipe away the rampant misconception
| that Indians do not contribute to the FOSS ecosystem..."
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/22513/news.htm

Students develop new GNU installer

,----[ Quote ]
| âThe developed installer LX series of advanced Debian GNU Hurd is available
| in the CD format. It makes the installation task much simple and easy to
| boot,â said Raju. The students were assisted by two lecturers P Badarudeen
| and A.Ragesh of the IT department, besides the guidance by Philip Charles.
`----

http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems.asp?ID=IER20070730024044&Title=Kerala&rLink=0

Dishaa '08 a big success

,----[ Quote ]