[News] [Rival] Windows Users Exploited Across the Web

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Users Exploited Across the Web
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:55:13 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

NYTimes.com Users Hit by Malicious Ad

http://securitywatch.eweek.com/malware/nytimescom_users_hit_by_malicious_ad.html

Fake virus infection Web pages are everywhere

,----[ Quote ]
| Everyone has seen a fake virus infection Web page from time
| to time. They pop up on your screen looking like a perfectly
| normal Windows page except they tell you that your PC is
| infected by a virus and you need to click here to either fix
| the problem or download a program that will clean out the
| bug for you. The only problem is it's a lie. It's actually
| an attack designed to get you to download malware.
|
| Usually these fake Windows pages-they're actually Web pages-
| pop up when you're visiting a dodgy Web site. But, even the
| New York Times isn't immune to attacks like this. Over this
| last weekend, September 12-13, I was startled to see an
| apparent Windows page show up that read, "Warning!!! Your
| system requires immediate anti-viruses scan. Personal
| Antivirus can perform fast and free virus malicious software
| scan of your computer."
|
| [...]
|
| That's good advice. When you're on a Windows PC, you
| shouldn't click on any part of the fake message. No, not
| even cancel. Any click might start a malware download.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/security/77756/fake-virus-infection-web-pages-are-everywhere?page=0%2C0

Scareware scumbags exploit 9/11

,----[ Quote ]
| Fraudsters have set up websites supposedly containing info
| about 9/11 but actually geared towards running fake anti-
| virus (scareware) scams.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/11/9_11_scareware/

Trial set for 'botnet for hire' duo

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal judge has cleared the way for the trial of two men
| accused of waging a cyber attack on a webhosting company so
| they could demonstrate the effectiveness of their botnet to
| potential customers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/16/botherder_trial_set/

Recent:

ISPs asked to cut off malware-infected PCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://itnews.com.au/News/155673,isps-asked-to-cut-off-malware-infected-pcs.aspx