[News] Disinformation Abound About So-called 'Linux Botnet'

  • Subject: [News] Disinformation Abound About So-called 'Linux Botnet'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:42:08 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A Skeptical Look At The Linux Server Botnet

,----[ Quote ]
| When The Register ran news of a "Linux botnet" out in the wild,
| the bloviation did fly: See? Linux really isn't that secure!
| But odds are this has nothing to do with Linux security per se,
| and everything to do with the biggest and most notorious
| security hole of all: bad system administration.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/09/a_skeptical_loo.html;jsessionid=NPRI5D2SBFOYRQE1GHPCKH4ATMY32JVN

Recent:

Smut page ransomware Trojan ransacks browsers

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian cybercrooks have come up with a variant of ransomware scams, which
| works by displaying an invasive advert for online smut in users' browsers
| that victims are extorted to pay to remove.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/27/ransompage_trojan/

The Business of Botnets

,----[ Quote ]
| Kaspersky Lab released some interesting statistics recently in a technical
| whitepaper. As part of its research into the cyber-underground, the company
| took a look at how botmasters are pricing the networks under their control.
`----

http://securitywatch.eweek.com/botnets/the_business_of_botnets.html

Ransomware Trojan code break 'impractical'

,----[ Quote ]
| A cryptographic expert has questioned the practicality of a code breaking
| initiative geared to cracking the key used in the dangerous Gpcode-AK
| ransomware virus.
|
| [...]
|
| But cryptographic expert Bruce Schneier argues that the effort is
| impractical, misguided and little better than a publicity stunt.
|
| "We've never factored a 1024-bit number - at least, not outside any secret
| government agency - and it's likely to require a lot more than 15 million
| computer years of work. The current factoring record is a 1023-bit number,
| but it was a special number that's easier to factor than a
| product-of-two-primes number used in RSA," he writes.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/13/ransomware_trojan_code_break/

Related:

Security firm asks for help cracking ransomware key

,----[ Quote ]
| In ransomware attacks, hackers plant malware that encrypts files and then
| displays a message demanding money to unlock the data. In the case of the
| newest Gpcode, 143 different file types are encrypted,
| including .bak, .doc, .jpg and .pdf. The encrypted files are marked by the
| addition of "_CRYPT" in their file names, and the original unencrypted files
| are deleted. As a camouflaging move, Gpcode also tries to erase itself.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=930244217&rid=-50

Ransomware Trojan locks up infected PCs

,----[ Quote ]