[News] Intellectual Monopolies Go Insane with WIPO

  • Subject: [News] Intellectual Monopolies Go Insane with WIPO
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 23:25:42 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

WIPO Once Again Sides With Trademark Holder Over Common Sense

,----[ Quote ]
| The phrase "ta ta" is a well known way of
| saying goodbye. So, it was a cute idea for an
| Indian online travel site to use the domain
| name OkTaTaByeBye.com.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090915/0437396200.shtml

Taiwan government aims at 80% global market share for Taiwan-made e-book readers in 2013

,----[ Quote ]
| Taiwan's Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA)
| will be implementing a 5-year project with a
| total budget of NT$2.134 billion (US$65
| million) to boost development of digital
| publication industries in Taiwan, with the goal
| being to make Taiwan-produced e-book readers
| reach a global market share of 80% with sales
| of NT$50 billion in 2013, according to the
| agency.
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090916PD203.html

Cracks show in music industry over P2P enforcement

,----[ Quote ]
| Divisions inside the music business have
| prompted its umbrella trade organisation to
| issue a statement today denying any serious
| rift, while dodging the issue of whether it
| will urge the government to cut off persistent
| pirates from the net.
|
| The ructions were provoked by last week's
| statement from the Featured Artists Coalition
| (FAC), a group of managers and big-selling
| artists including Radiohead, Billy Bragg and
| davefromblur. The FAC was sharply critical of
| Lord Mandelson's proposed anti-copyright
| infringement measures, especially suspension of
| internet access.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/16/uk_music_statement/

Stunned film, music sectors react to Veoh decision

,----[ Quote ]
| In the cafes along Sunset Boulevard and the
| high-rises on Fifth Avenue, executives and
| lawyers at powerful entertainment conglomerates
| were talking about Veoh on Tuesday morning.
|
| They were not joyful discussions. Copyright
| owners in the film and music sectors were
| stunned Monday by the news that U.S. District
| Judge A. Howard Matz ruled that Veoh, an
| online-video service, is protected by the
| Digital Millennium Copyright Act's safe-harbor
| provision and cannot be held liable for acts of
| copyright infringement committed by users. This
| was the most significant court victory that the
| tech sector has won against copyright owners in
| some time.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10353563-93.html

Recent:

Fresh air at WIPO, but old habits die hard

,----[ Quote ]
| The result of all this was that despite excellent high-level speakers from
| international organisations, the conference ended up mainly representing the
| positions of those who have long been in control at WIPO: Governments of the
| US, the EU and Japan, along with large industrial rightsholders. There were
| hardly any industry stakeholders from developing countries, and no public
| interest NGOs represented among the speakers.
|
| By not including the broader picture, WIPO has missed out on the best
| opportunity in years to demonstrate that it wants to play a productive role
| in helping humanity to manage its knowledge wisely. There clearly are good
| intentions in the organisation. Now WIPO only needs to act on them.
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/gerloff/?p=241

D Ravi Kanth: A Trips-plus agenda at WIPO

,----[ Quote ]
| Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat itâ is a timely
| reminder for key actors who are bent on pushing failed agendas. As
| governments and multilateral institutions struggle to recover from a
| pervasive crisis of confidence stemming from the current political and
| economic climate, it is important to not make the same mistakes all over
| again. But the tendency is to cock a snook at such warnings.
|
| [...]
|
| Internally, the abrupt removal of Ram Kishan Singh, a junior official, who
| worked for nine years in the organisation with an outstanding record and the
| proposed reforms in the staffing pattern raise serious questions whether
| developing country officials are specific targets in the onward march of a
| renewed western IP agenda at WIPO!
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/d-ravi-kanthtrips-plus-agenda-at-wipo/364449/

Chasing the WIPO representative

,----[ Quote ]
| I think Iâll try to follow up on this on Tuesday. The meeting will be long
| done by then and the treaty proposal probably clobbered, but itâs a worthy
| battle. The problem is, this entire exercise - while taking on 30 minutes -
| was like out of a bad episode of Yes, Minister. Organizations pointing at
| each other, despite best intentions, without anybody actually answering the
| question. In bureaucracies, the concept of democracy gets ignored once the
| elections are up and the bureaucrats take over the reins. I wrote a piece
| about bureaucracy earlier which, I think, illustrates this fairly well.
|
| The fact that delegates to conventions such as these have almost zero
| accountability to the people they claim to represent is a black mark on the
| idea of democracy. It is one of many things that I aim to fix.
`----

http://smari.yaxic.org/blag/2009/05/29/chasing-the-wipo-representative/

WIPO SCP/13 - some conclusions

,----[ Quote ]
| As also highlighted in FSFEâs interventions, these criteria allow for an
| assessment of the usefulness of the patent system for each individual area.
| It follows that areas in which these benefits do not materialise lack an
| economic rationale for patenting. An example for such an area is software,
| which had no innovative market failure prior to the introduction of patents,
| in which patents are useless for disclosure of new ideas, and in which legal
| counsels suggest that developers do not study patents in order to avoid
| claims of intentional infringement. So this study provides an analytical
| rationale behind statements such as the one by Bill Gates in 1991, which
| voices concern about the anti-innovative effect of patents in the field of
| software:
|
|     âIf people had understood how patents would be granted when most of
|     todayâs ideas were invented, and had taken out patents, the industry
|     would be at a complete standstill today.â
|
| Application of this rationale in the policy setting process would allow to
| assess which areas can benefit from patents, and where more innovation can be
| had by excluding an area from the patent system. In parallel to the âBerne
| three-step testâ we have dubbed this the âthree step test for inclusion in
| the patent systemâ in our oral intervention.
`----

http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=302

FSFE statement at WIPO SCP/13 re/exceptions and limitations

http://blogs.fsfe.org/greve/?p=269

Videocast: Georg Greve on Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Standing Committee on the
| Law of Patents discussed exceptions and limitations to patentability on 24
| March. Intellectual Property Watch spoke with Georg Greve of the Free
| Software Foundation Europe about exceptions on patents and software.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2009/03/30/georg-greve-on-software-patents-2/

Concerns Voiced At WIPO Over Potential Conflicts Between IP And Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| Government procurement could preference open or interoperable standards, said
| Latif. Binding obligations to disclose all relevant IP information on
| standards, as well as the involvement of competition authorities in work on
| standards to ensure anti-competitive practices are not used, could also help.
|
| Ultimately, said Greve, increasing the transparency of the system is useful.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2009/03/25/concerns-voiced-at-wipo-over-potential-conflicts-between-ip-and-standards/

WIPO Patent Committee To Consider Four New Reports, Global Challenges

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2009/03/20/wipo-patent-committee-to-consider-four-new-reports-global-challenges/

Concerns Voiced At WIPO Over Potential Conflicts Between IP And Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| âBoth patents and standards are instruments from the toolbox of innovation
| policy, but they are different instruments,â said Georg Greve of the Free
| Software Foundation Europe. âPatents,â he said, âare intended for private,
| personal use [while] standards are intended for public use.â
|
| âThey are diametrically opposed in practiceâ maximising one instrument
| invalidates the other,â he added.
`----

http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2009/03/25/concerns-voiced-at-wipo-over-potential-conflicts-between-ip-and-standards/

Statement by the United States on patents and standards at WIPO patent
committee

,----[ Quote ]
| In the United States, antitrust enforcers seek to ensure that our markets are
| competitive by preventing agreements or mergers that create or increase
| market power, or unilateral actions that use existing market power to protect
| or expand a monopoly. Our focus is on preventing harm to the competitive
| process, not on ensuring competitors treat each other fairly. Therefore, we
| would strike the use of âfairâ wherever it appears before âfunctioning of the
| marketâ and when it modifies âcompetitionâ or âmarketâ.
`----

http://www.keionline.org/blogs/2009/03/25/united-states-position-patents-standards/

WIPO patent committee embarks on positive agenda

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that the WIPO patent committee has decided to request the
| International Bureau studies on âexceptions from patentable subject matter
| and limitations to the rights, inter alia research exemption and compulsory
| licensesâ and âpatents and standardsâ is testament that the WIPO of 2008 is
| not the WIPO that invoked âIntellectual Property as a Power tool for
| Developmentâ.
|
| Here below is the Annex to the Summary by the Chair which lists the eighteen
| non-exhaustive list of issues for further elaboration and discussion in the
| future. This list includes such topics as âEconomic impact of the patent
| system, Alternative models for innovation, Patents and health (including
| exhaustion, the Doha Declaration and other WTO instruments, patent
| landscaping) and Relation of patents with other public policy issues.â
`----

http://www.keionline.org/index.php?option=com_jd-wp&Itemid=39&p=124

WIPO will discuss a report on patents and open standards next week

,----[ Quote ]
| (iv) Open Standards
|
| 121. Among technology standards, there is particular interest for âopen
| standardsâ. While there is no universally accepted definition of that term,
| all open standards have the following common characteristics: (i) the
| specification is publicly available without cost or for a reasonable fee to
| any interested party; (ii) any IP rights necessary to implement the standard
| are available to all implementers on RAND terms, either with or without
| payment of a reasonable royalty or fee; and...
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-68607/wipo-will-discuss-a-report-on-patents-and-open-standards-next-week

Related:

Copyright activists want Canada to avoid WIPO treaty

,----[ Quote ]
| The Canadian governmentâs affirmation for copyright reform in this monthâs
| throne speech could have implications on technological innovation as well as
| the open source community, according to industry activists.
`----

http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/Daily-News/bb377ddc-4972-4447-aa9f-3e75a8641bc1.html

Batik-Makers Say "Tidak" to Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| Interestingly, this is very close to the situation for software. The batik
| motifs correspond to sub-routines: both are part of the commons that everyone
| draws upon; copyrighting those patterns is as counter-productive as patenting
| subroutines, since it makes further creation almost impossible
| without "infringement". This reduces the overall creativity - precisely the
| opposite effect that intellectual monopolists claim.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/07/batik-makers-say-tidak-to-copyright.html

Are Patents Intellectual Monopolies? You Decide

,----[ Quote ]
| Talking of intellectual monopolies, you may wonder why I use this term (well,
| if you've been reading this blog for long, you probably don't.) But in any
| case, here's an excellent exposition as to why, yes, patents are indeed
| monopolies...
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/07/are-patents-intellectual-monopolies-you.html

What Are Intellectual Monopolies For?

,----[ Quote ]
| We can't possibly have dveloping countries protecting their traditional
| medicine and national lore - "genetic resources, traditional knowledge and
| folklore" - from being taken and patented by the Western world. After all,
| companies in the latter have an inalienable right to turn a profit by
| licensing that same traditional knowledge it back to the countries it was
| stolen from (this has already happened). That's what intellectual monopolies
| are for.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/07/whats.html

Another Example Of Patents Putting Lives At Risk

,----[ Quote ]
| Given that Shafer refused to live up to the terms of the deal that he had
| never agreed to in the first place, ABL moved forward and sued Shafer
| directly, and that case is now ongoing -- even as Shafer hopes to invalidate
| the patent through the Patent Office itself. The whole thing is yet another
| story of how patents are being used to stifle innovation -- and sometimes put
| lives at risk. It's tragic that we've been seeing so many such stories
| lately.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090610/2202565196.shtml

Do Patents On Your Website Make You Liable For False Marking?

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the things that tends to keep patent lawsuits in check between two
| larger competing companies is the "patent nuclear war" scenario -- which is
| that if one company sues the other for patent infringement, the latter
| company often can hit back with an equal number of infringement charges.
| Thus, the incentives are for companies to stockpile lots of patents, but not
| necessarily use them... though it does happen occasionally.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090606/1139255152.shtml

The Patent Troll

,----[ Quote ]
| Spangenberg predicts a day when corporations and trolls will live in relative
| harmony. He estimates that in the near future, litigation will be taken out
| of the patent equation, and people will buy and sell intellectual property in
| a way similar to the method now used to buy and sell works of art: auctions
| with built-in criteria to determine value.
|
| He explains: âThe courts are intermediaries for patents right now, and the
| courts are extremely inefficient. Patents will trade as a commodity in the
| next five to six years, and what I do wonât even exist.
`----

http://www.good.is/post/the-patent-troll/

What Is A Patent Worth?

,----[ Quote ]
| Often, the value of a patent is not publicly known because parties often
| settle matters out of court.  Other times, the value of a patent becomes
| abundantly clear after a blockbuster court case.  For example, a jury
| yesterday awarded nearly $1.7 billion to Johnson & Johnson, whose patent the
| jury determined was infringed by Abbott Laboratories' drug, Humira.  Abbott
| Labs plans to appeal the verdict.
`----

http://www.patentlawinsights.com/2009/06/articles/patent-valuation/what-is-a-patent-worth/

The Linux Defenders: Stop the Trolls, Protect Linux, Further Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Patent Trolls are an ever-growing threat to global innovation. These IP
| aggregators purchase low-quality patents and use them as leverage to hijack
| potential revenue and profits from hardware and software companies, our
| largest economic driver. This causes entrepreneurs to reconsider launching
| companies, while CEOs devote more of their time and resources to managing
| intellectual property. New online and offline tools and services are becoming
| available to combat Patent Trolls and enable technology companies to focus on
| their core business.
`----

http://www.linuxtag.org/2009/en/program/freies-vortragsprogramm/wednesday/details.html?talkid=582

Patent Litigation Weekly: PubPat and "Patent Troll" Make Strange Bedfellows

,----[ Quote ]
| Ravicher acknowledged that it seems strange for a lawyer affiliated with
| PubPatâeven as a volunteerâto have gone so far as to set up his own
| patent-holding company and then sued a group of major Internet players.
|
| "Dave, if you were to talk to him, heâd say software patents are good, and
| they incentivize innovation," says Ravicher. "Some people canât be friends
| with people who disagree with them. But Iâm friends with lots of people I
| have strenuous disagreements with."
|
| Asked whether he surprised by his friend's involvement in the business
| colloquially known as "patent trolling," Ravicher pauses, and then
| laughs. "Nothing surprises me these days."
`----

http://thepriorart.typepad.com/the_prior_art/2009/06/pubpat-and-patent-troll-make-strange-bedfellows.html

Former Microsoft Exec to Release Patent Troll Study

,----[ Quote ]
| The funny part is that this former executiveâs company makes its money by,
| you guessed it, collecting patents. The firm has yet to assert any of its
| rights in court, however.
`----

http://www.xchangemag.com/hotnews/former-microsoft-exec-to-release-patent-troll.html

Inventor says Google settles patent claim

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://aftereffects.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=680610