[News] Many Options in Free Software for Management, MySQL is Safe

  • Subject: [News] Many Options in Free Software for Management, MySQL is Safe
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:06:31 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

5 open source project management apps to watch

,----[ Quote ]
| Managing projects is hard work at the best of times, but there are
| a number of free and open source (FOSS) applications available that
| can help CIOs and other managers streamline the administrative
| aspects of project management.
`----

http://www.cio.com.au/article/318425/5_open_source_project_management_apps_watch

No need to panic over MySQL

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source software lives or dies not by who owns it or provides
| support at any one time, but by how many people use it. Few users
| means there's little incentive for developers to put effort into
| improving the code. Happily, that's not the case with MySQL, and
| whatever happens there will be someone in the open source world who
| will look after its users.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10013801o-2000331765b,00.htm

Recent:

Why the EU should block Oracle/Sun

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, I argued that the European Commission, the European Union's top
| competition authority, was wasting its time delaying Oracle's acquisition of
| Sun. Since then, I've heard from Henrik Ingo, the COO (chief operating
| officer) for Monty Program Ab, the MySQL fork headed by MySQL's founder
| Michael "Monty" Widenius. He has a different take on the EU's opposition to
| the deal, and I thought it worth sharing his viewpoint with you.
|
| First, Ingo notes that "While it's true that many use MySQL for free [under
| the open-source GPL license), and some even hack on the GPL'd source code,
| most of MySQL's paying customers use MySQL under a commercial license which
| has nothing to do with Open Source. It is in this market that MySQL competes
| against Oracle and for those customers the GPL version of MySQL offers no
| consolation. This is the main reason why the EU is concerned."
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14683/why_the_eu_should_block_oracle_sun

MySQL Connector for OpenOffice.org 1.0 GA

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/mysql_connector_for_openoffice_org