[News] Thailand Grows Its Free Software Business

  • Subject: [News] Thailand Grows Its Free Software Business
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:12:25 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source Society ready to go

,----[ Quote ]
| "We formed a new group in Thailand Open Source Federation or
| TOSF, which is a non-profit organisation, to promote the use of
| open sources. We have government members and enterprise users but
| BOSS is a commercial entity so we decided to form a new entity
| but still operate as part of TOSF," said Danupol.
`----

http://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/technews/23956/open-source-society-ready-to-go

Infobright Sees Explosive Growth One Year After Open Source Data Warehouse Launch

,----[ Quote ]
| Infobright, the open source data warehousing company, marked the
| one-year anniversary of the launch of its open source community
| and Infobright Community Edition (ICE). The company also
| announced an array of momentum-related milestones, including more
| than 15,000 downloads of ICE to date, the addition of nearly 40
| partners to its OEM and reseller network, as well as a customer
| base that has increased by tenfold. Infobright continues to
| expand its customer roster with online businesses, as well as
| telecommunications, retail and financial services companies,
| including recent wins at bWIN games, Smiley Media and TIPS
| Marketing. Additionally, in order to support a growing customer
| base in Europe, Infobright has opened a sales office in the UK.
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/infobright-sees-explosive-growth-one,961920.shtml

Recent:

Nectec sponsors open-source software creation

,----[ Quote ]
| National Electronics and Computer Technology Center (NECTEC) is pouring Bt180
| million to promote the production of open-source software, as part of
| the "Strong Thailand" programme.
`----

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/08/19/business/business_30110160.php

Open-source software suites pre-installed in local PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| In a bid to promote the wider use of open-source software in Thailand, the
| National Electronics and Computer Technology Centre (Nectec) has joined five
| local computer manufacturers to pre-install open-source software suites in
| personal computers.
|
| The five companies are SVOA, D Com, Synnex (Thailand), IT Bakery and Powell
| Computer.
|
| Nectec's director Pansak Siriruchatapong said Nectec was developing and
| customising open-source software suites for the local-brand PC companies,
| including the operating system Ubuntu Linux and applications such as Open
| Office, Firefox Web browser and Thunderbird e-mail software.
`----

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/10/technology/technology_30095272.php

Related:

Thailand: Egat turns to open source to cut costs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/08/28/technology/technology_30046747.php