[News] Another Licensing Scheme Inspired by GPL?

  • Subject: [News] Another Licensing Scheme Inspired by GPL?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:26:16 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

- From the GNU GPL to GISAID's EpiFlu

,----[ Quote ]
| A few months ago, I wrote about GISAID, which takes a rather
| interesting and - to readers of this blog, at least - familiar
| approach to sharing genomic data:
|
|    Registered users can upload data relating to sequences, clinical
|    manifestations in humans, epidemiology, observations in poultry
|    and other animals, etc. These data will be accessible to all
|    other registered users, but not to others unless they have
|    agreed to the same terms of use. This maintains confidentiality
|    of the data.
|
| This is, of course, the same as the GNU GPL: do as you would be
| done by - if you want to use the GPL'd code, you can, but you must
| share with everyone the results of your work if you decide to share
| it with anyone.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/09/from-gnu-gpl-to-gisaids-epiflu.html

Nonplussed by Non-Commercial

,----[ Quote ]
| The Creative Commons people rather created a rod for their own
| backs when they allowed this particular licence, which was bound to
| problematic. Indeed, it's striking that the GNU GPL, which doesn't
| allow this restriction, avoids all these issues entirely. Probably
| too late now to do anything about it...other than commissioning
| surveys, of course.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/09/nonplussed-by-non-commercial.html

Recent:

Why the GNU GPL Still Matters

,----[ Quote ]
| The other major bone of contention in the discussion about the merits and
| demerits of the GNU GPL concerns the issue of efficiency: that is, what is
| the best way to encourage coders to join projects and for users to adopt
| software. But this, too, if based on a misunderstanding of free software: the
| point of free software is not to spread software, but to spread freedom.
|
| It is not trying to be âefficientâ, it is trying to be ethical; ideally you
| want both â and in many respects, the culture that the GNU GPL fosters is
| extremely efficient, for reasons I'll discuss in a moment. But if efficiency
| and ethics clash, ethics win every time.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2359&blogid=14

Related:

Attorney Shaalu Mehra discusses emerging GPL trends (video)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/147565