[News] Privacy Abused by RFID and Databases, ASA Receives Complaint

  • Subject: [News] Privacy Abused by RFID and Databases, ASA Receives Complaint
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:41:29 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Privacy for RFID tags

,----[ Quote ]
| A common complaint about proposals to use RFID (Radio Frequency
| Identity) to tag everything from bank notes to underwear is that
| it opens the way for sophisticated privacy invasion. Someone with
| a reader could, once RFID is pervasive, read the valuables you're
| carrying, the contents of your wallet, and plan an attack
| accordingly. The solution so far: a kill function to disable the
| tags at the point of sale.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/145464

NO2ID beats off ad complaint

,----[ Quote ]
| The Advertising Standards Authority has rejected a complaint about
| a NO2ID advertisement which warned of the likelihood of personal
| information leaking from the proposed National Identity Register.
|
| [...]
|
| NO2ID told the ASA that since the database did not exist, it was
| hard to accuse them of exaggerating. The organisation offered
| evidence from Schedule 1 of the Identity Cards Act of 2006 to show
| what information was likely to be held and how it could be cross-
| referenced.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/16/no2id_advert_complaint/

'There is no dispute that we are going into uncharted territories ...but the benefits make it worth it'

,----[ Quote ]
| There are concerns on technology, cost and privacy in the
| decision to allot a unique identification number to every Indian.
| In a talk with Karan Thapar on the CNN-IBN television channelâs
| Devilâs Advocate programme, NANDAN NILEKANI, who has agreed to
| head the newly-created Authority to plan and implement this
| project, concedes these are legitimate concerns. And, that these
| can be addressed and the project is worthwhile.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/here-is-no-dispute-that-wegoing-into-uncharted-territories-butbenefits-make-it-worth-it%5C/370026/

Recent:

Unchain the Office Computers!

,----[ Quote ]
| During a town hall meeting for State Department workers last month, an
| employee named Jim Finkle asked Hillary Clinton a very important
| question: "Can you please let the staff use an alternative Web browser called
| Firefox?" The room erupted in cheers. Finkle explained that he'd previously
| worked at the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, where everyone enjoyed
| Firefox. "So I don't understand why State can't use it," he said. "It's a
| much safer program."
`----

http://www.slate.com/id/2226279/pagenum/all/

Canucks crack whip on Facebook privacy

,----[ Quote ]
| Facebook has vowed to overhaul how personal information is shared with
| third-party applications after Canada's privacy Czar scolded the social
| website for its promiscuous policies.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/27/canadian_privacy_commissioner_facebook_changes/

âSnatching Digital Rightsâ or Protecting Our Culture? Burning Man and the EFF

,----[ Quote ]
| Burning Man deeply respects the efforts of the EFF, and frankly, would
| ourselves like to embrace their opinion - but we donât think the issue is as
| simple as Corynne McSherry would have you believe. Just like the EFF, we
| honestly seek to think outside old paradigms and boxes of âcreative propertyâ
| in the digital age, but we view Black Rock City through a more complicated
| lens, and our view of issues facing creative ownership is not rendered in
| extremes of black and white. To us, the rights of the individual participant
| to privacy while in Black Rock City in this unique environment for free
| expression â and our philosophical desire to maintain it out of reach of
| those who would exploit that expression just to sell cars or soft drinks â
| happens to come first.
|
| In fact, there are but two essential reasons we maintain these increased
| controls on behalf of our community: to protect our participants so that
| images that violate their privacy are not displayed, and to prevent companies
| from using Burning Man to sell products.
`----

http://blog.burningman.com/?p=4599

Snatching Rights On the Playa

,----[ Quote ]