[News] Google Gains More Control Over Information, Makes Acquisition, Caught Censoring

  • Subject: [News] Google Gains More Control Over Information, Makes Acquisition, Caught Censoring
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:50:45 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google talks book deal edits with DoJ

,----[ Quote ]
| Google is in talks with the US Department of Justice over possible changes to
| its controversial Book Search settlement.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/17/google_in_talks_with_doj_over_books_pact/

Googlebooks crusade captures CAPTCHA king

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has acquired reCAPTCHA, a free CAPTCHA service that also serves as a
| means of digitizing printed books and newspapers. Among other things, the
| Mountain View web giant is looking to juice its ever-controversial library-
| scanning Book Search project.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/16/google_acquires_recaptcha/

Fake Eric Schmidt: Google Fast Flip has saved newspapers. Happy now, bitches?

,----[ Quote ]
| Below is an email that we received this morning from Fake Eric Schmidt about
| Google Fast Flip, the search companyâs new news service. The email was
| headlined MESSAGE FOR THE NEWSPAPER INDUSTRY. Fake Eric is, we can only
| assume, the CEO of Fake Google. Heâs also quite sweary so we had to censor
| him a little.
`----

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/shanerichmond/100003530/fake-eric-schmidt-google-fast-flip-has-saved-newspapers-happy-now-bitches/

Will YouTube laws stop Israeli music from going global?

,----[ Quote ]
| This story is just one example of legal wranglings over the ambiguities
| surrounding music copyright on the Internet. The gap between performers and
| their fans is widening and deepening in the digital age: private users, who
| do not make commercial use of the content they upload, many times violate
| copyright law without even knowing it.

Patry's MORAL PANICS AND THE COPYRIGHT WARS: elegant, calm,
reasonable history of the copyfight

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/09/14/patrys-moral-panics.html