[News] The Corporatist New York Times Adopts Free Software Internally

  • Subject: [News] The Corporatist New York Times Adopts Free Software Internally
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:25:19 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

What's the New York Times doing with Hadoop?

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Sources: What got you interested in Hadoop
| initially and how long have you been using Hadoop?
|
| Gottfrid: I've been working with Hadoop for the last
| three years. Back in 2007, the New York Times decided to
| make all the public domain articles from 1851-1922
| available free of charge in the form of images scanned
| from the original paper. That's 11 million articles
| available as images in PDF format. The code to generate
| the PDFs was fairly straightforward, but to get it to
| run in parallel across multiple machines was an issue.
| As I wrote about in detail back then, I came across the
| MapReduce paper from Google. That, coupled with what I
| had learned about Hadoop, got me started on the road to
| tackle this huge data challenge.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/whats-new-york-times-doing-hadoop-392

More FOSS:

Terracotta for Hibernate Drives Dramatic Improvements in Application Performance While Reducing Database Costs

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090914005335&newsLang=en

ECM Provider KnowledgeTree Partners with Zend to Enhance Its Enterprise Grade PHP Application

,----[ Quote ]
| KnowledgeTreeÂ, an Enterprise Content Management (ECM)
| provider focusing on affordable document management
| software that is easily installed and used by business
| professionals, today announced a partnership with Zend
| Technologies, Inc., the leading provider of products and
| services for developing, deploying, and managing
| business-critical PHP applications.

`----
http://www.knowledgetree.com/press/ecm-knowledgetree-zend-partnership-boost-performance

Recent:

Q&A: Visa dips a toe into the Hadoop pool

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10355679-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad