[News] Google Rises at Expense of Company That Attacks Linux (Microsoft)

  • Subject: [News] Google Rises at Expense of Company That Attacks Linux (Microsoft)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:45:44 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google brand value 'on the rise'

,----[ Quote ]
| In these uncertain economic times, people want answers -
| one reason perhaps why Google's brand value is soaring
| and bank brands are plunging.

Governing from the cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| It could also create major market opportunities for
| companies focused on the technology like Google Inc. and
| Salesforce.com, but raises some troubling questions
| about privacy and security, observers say.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/15/BUEB19NH3C.DTL&type=business

Analogue or Digital? - Both, Please

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a huge breakthrough. At the moment, you have to
| choose between the pleasure of reading an analogue
| artefact, and the convenience of its digital equivalent.
| With this new scheme, Google will let you find a
| particular phrase - or even word - in the book you have
| in your hands, because the latter is a physical
| embodiment of the one you use on the screen to search
| through its text.
|
| The trouble is, of course, that this amazing facility is
| only available for those books out of copyright that
| Google has scanned. Which gives us yet another reason
| for repealing the extraordinarily stupid copyright laws
| that stop this kind of powerful service being offered
| for *all* text.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/09/analogue-or-digital-both-please.html

Recent:

Microsoft screwing themselves while they try to screw Google

,----[ Quote ]
| It turns out Microsoft has been busy holding weekly âScrew Googleâ meetings,
| trying to figure out how to throw roadblocks in front of Google as they
| continue to dominate the search arena. Itâs easy for me to say, but doesnât
| it make a lot more sense to spend millions of dollars making something thatâs
| actually better than Google rather than simply trying to make them look bad?
|
| [...]
|
| Itâs time for Microsoft to stop wasting their money worrying about Google,
| and start breaking their own trails. Microsoft does have some diamonds in
| their rough though â one example is their development tools, frameworks and
| platforms. This includes WPF, Silverlight and Microsoft Surface â and in my
| opinion, Microsoft needs to invest more heavily in those technologies.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Google/?p=1531

Corn Farmers Against Google?

,----[ Quote ]