[News] Political AstroTurfing at Stake as Role of Legalised Bribery (Lobbying) is Debated

  • Subject: [News] Political AstroTurfing at Stake as Role of Legalised Bribery (Lobbying) is Debated
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 00:10:51 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Federal Appeals Court Voids Campaign Finance Reform Rules

,----[ Quote ]
| "The First Amendment, as the Court has construed it, safeguards
| the right of citizens to band together and pool their resources .
| . . to express their views about policy issues and candidates for
| public office," Kavanaugh wrote in his 44-page opinion.
|
| A FEC spokeswoman, Judith Ingram, said officials were reviewing
| the opinion.
|
| The challenge by Emily's List is just one of several assaults on
| campaign finance laws and regulations in the courts. Last week, in
| a case with high stakes for campaign finance advocates, the
| Supreme Court heard arguments in an appeal that seeks to strip
| decades of restrictions on corporate support of candidates.
|
| "We in the reform community are seeking attacks on all fronts of
| campaign finance laws," said Tara Malloy, associate counsel at the
| Campaign Legal Center, a nonprofit group that supports campaign
| finance reform.
|
| Friday's ruling will be felt next year and in 2012, the experts
| said.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/18/AR2009091801698.html?hpid=topnews

Recent:

Federal Judge Issues Blistering Decision on Failure of SEC to Police Banksters: Oscar Wilde Weighs In

,----[ Quote ]
| As reported previously, the court was weighing the
| appropriateness of a $33 million fine the SEC levied against
| BofA for failing to notify shareholders about a massive bonus
| package paid to Merrill Lynch executives when BofA acquired
| Merrill in September of 2008.
`----

http://www.prwatch.org/node/8553

Lobbyists urge FCC to loosen up

,----[ Quote ]
| US wireless lobbyist The CTIA is drawing on UK regulator Ofcom's
| research to convince the FCC that an unregulated market is a competitive
| market.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/11/ctia_ofcom/

Connected Nation One Link To Derail New Broadband Policy -- Connect The Dots

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting this week (Sept. 10), the House Telecom Subcommittee is going
| to start looking at the broadband stimulus program and, perhaps next
| week, examine how the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is doing
| under the new management. The national broadband plan, required under
| the Federal stimulus program, should also be a topic of discussion when
| the Subcommittee holds an oversight hearing.
`----

http://www.publicknowledge.org/node/2626

FCC Canât Even Figure Out How To Stream Its Own Meetings Properly

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://techliberation.com/2009/08/27/fcc-cant-even-figure-out-how-to-stream-its-own-meetings/