[News] [Rival] Microsoft's IE Mobile Behind the Competition, More Bail Out of Windows Mobile

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's IE Mobile Behind the Competition, More Bail Out of Windows Mobile
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 00:52:10 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft's IE Mobile Browser Needs a Makeover

,----[ Quote ]
| Internet Explorer Mobile (formerly known as Pocket Internet
| Explorer) has been on Windows Mobile devices for a long time now--
| and it shows. Based on a proprietary layout engine that Microsoft
| designed from scratch, the current Internet Explorer Mobile is one
| of the most underwhelming browsers available on smartphones today.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/171814/microsofts_ie_mobile_browser_needs_a_makeover.html

Report: Palm axes Windows Mobile

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/microsoftpri0/2009888670_palmaxeswindowsmobile.html

Palm is fed up with Microsoft Windows Mobile

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/44021/97/

Palm (Finally) Dumps Microsoft

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/09/palm_finally_du.html;jsessionid=FPBPNER4E3CPHQE1GHRSKH4ATMY32JVN

Recent:

Does Microsoft Windows Mobile Have A Future?

,----[ Quote ]
| Name Change = Desperation
| Even Microsoft seems to know it is in trouble. One clear sign of a failing product line
| is a name change. After using Windows Mobile since the operating system's launch at the
| turn of the millennium, the company decided that phones running version 6.5 of the
| operating system will be known as Windows phones, a subtle but telling distinction.
|
| So where will Microsoft go from here? The company has put a lot of time and money into
| its mobile OS. Because of its tight connection with Microsoft Office desktop
| applications, the operating system has had significant appeal to small and medium
| businesses. But that integration also carried a price in terms of ease of use and
| performance. And the market seems to be saying Office compatibility may no longer be
| enough to compete with faster, sexier, and easier-to-use smartphones running on other
| operating systems.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/mobile/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=219700387

Report: Microsoft Will Make Windows Mobile Cheaper To Compete With Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft (NSDQ: MSFT) will adopt a two-pronged approach to the mobile
| operating system market that will be able to compete against both the iPhone
| and Android, according to a report in DigiTimes that claims to know
| Microsoftâs Windows Mobile roadmap.
`----

http://moconews.net/article/419-report-microsoft-will-make-windows-mobile-cheaper-to-compete-with-open-/

Did Microsoft Just Throw WinMo Under A Bus?

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're itching to buy that hot new WinMo smartphone, go for it. Just don't
| act surprised when the next version of Windows Mobile turns out to be the
| last.
`----

http://www.bmighty.com/blog/main/archives/2009/08/did_microsoft_j.html

Microsoft's Windows Mobile: Time to Hang Up?

,----[ Quote ]
| There are better ways for Microsoft to make money from smartphones than to
| keep investing in a mobile operating system that's losing share and relevance
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2009/tc2009087_110164.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_software

Is Googleâs Android Killing Windows Mobile?

,----[ Quote ]
| I wonder if it will be too late for the company to make a comeback, similar
| to Zune struggling to playsanjay  catch-up with the iPod. So while there is a
| lot of focus on Apple v Google, the real battle is actually between Microsoft
| Windows Mobile and Google Android. It looks like Google has drawn its first
| blood.
`----

http://gigaom.com/2009/07/30/is-googles-android-killing-windows-mobile/

Motorola disses Windows Mobile: Android "more competitive"

,----[ Quote ]
| Handset maker Motorola has revealed plans to scale back its commitment to
| Windows Mobile as it continues to increase its investment in Google's open
| source Android mobile platform.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/02/motorola-says-android-more-competitive-than-windows-mobile.ars

Motorola pushes ahead with Android phones

,----[ Quote ]
| Jha praised Android, noting that 3,000 applications have already been
| developed for it. Motorola will focus on integrating messaging and social
| networking with the Android devices, he said, and will offer a range of
| devices in the high- and mid-tier price ranges. "We are probably investing as
| much as anybody on the Android platform," he added.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/article/301565/motorola_pushes_ahead_android_phones?rid=-50

Motorola Pledges Cheaper Android Phones

,----[ Quote ]