Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Breaks the Law in Korea -- Again (Found Guilty)

____/ High Plains Thumper on Sunday 20 Sep 2009 02:21 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> S Korean court rules Microsoft broke anti-trust laws, again
>>
>> http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/2525615/
>>
>> S Korean court rules Microsoft in breach of anti-trust laws
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> A South Korean court ruled that global software giant
>>> Microsoft Corp. broke anti-trust laws by bundling programs
>>> with its Windows operating system, local media reported
>>> Monday.
>>>
>>> In a case filed by local software company Dideonet, the
>>> Seoul Central District Court ruled against Microsoft on
>>> Friday, saying its bundling the Windows Media Service with
>>> the Windows operating system violated fair competition
>>> regulations by infringing upon consumers' right to free
>>> choice and obstructing fair competition among rival firms.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-09/14/content_12049004.htm
>
> The problem lies with the small monetary amounts against each
> consumer, IMHO.
>
> The solution of course is for other operating systems to get a
> foothold, to provide the consumer with options.  That is hard to
> come by, as the corporation has ensured lock-in by monopoly
> maintenance.
>
> UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
>
> Civil Action No. 98-1233 (CKK)
> STATE OF NEW YORK, et al., Plaintiffs v. MICROSOFT CORPORATION,
> Defendant.
>
> MEMORANDUM OPINION
>
> [quote] It bears repeating that the monopoly in this case was not
> found to have been illegally acquired, see United States v.
> Microsoft, 56 F.3d 1448, 1452 (D.C. Cir. 1995),24 but only to
> have been illegally maintained.  [...] COLLEEN KOLLAR-KOTELLY
> United States District Judge [/quote]
>
> http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/msdoj/2002/Lit11-1.pdf

Too bad the DOJ is now filled with Microsoft cronies.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

"I consider sendmail.cf to be an uneditable binary file and you should
too." -- Eric Allman
roy      pts/0        :0               Sat Sep 19 15:11   still logged in