[News] The Hindu Offers an Introduction to GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] The Hindu Offers an Introduction to GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:38:54 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Working with multiple operating systems

,----[ Quote ]
| If your guest OS is Ubuntu, restart the Ubuntu virtual PC.
| Now you will find the guest addition CD icon on the
| desktop. Access its contents, install the guest addition by
| clicking on the script file âautorun.shâ and restart
| Ubuntu. At this point you will find the mouse moving freely
| all over your machine. You can run the Ubuntu in full
| screen mode or in seamless mode. The advantage of seamless
| mode is that you can keep the virtual machine application
| windows along with the application windows of your host.
| You will find the Ubuntu application panel on the top of
| your screen and Windows-XP task bar at its bottom. This
| means you can listen to a radio programme via Ububtuâs
| music player RhythmBox while composing an article with MS-
| Word from Windows XP.
`----

http://beta.thehindu.com/business/article22881.ece

Recent:

On the shoulders of giants

,----[ Quote ]
| K. Gopinath, associate professor at the Indian Institute of Science, points
| out that small manufacturers like HCL, Wipro and Org, adopted Unix and built
| their own systems. âIn the mid-nineties, however, proprietary OS vendor
| Microsoft became stronger and these firms dropped Unix in favour of MS.
| Interestingly, as Unix started dying, Linux started coming up.â
|
| In academic departments, Unix was fundamental when the Web first came in. In
| 1993, the Linux kernel and the GNU system (of the Free Software Foundation)
| appeared, followed shortly by the Web. âNow, machines that run on the DOS or
| Win3.1 operating systems were a serious liability as networking wasnât part
| of these systems.â But by the early 1994, the Web could be run on Unix
| machines or Win3.1machines.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2009/08/09/stories/2009080952761000.htm

Related:

'Indians can't afford dollar-denominated software'

,----[ Quote ]
| He added IT will no longer be the prerogative of the English speaking elite.
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux, for instance, is available in 11 local languages.
| Here in India, âwe concentrate on four key verticalsâ the government,
| Banking, Financial Services and Insurance companies, telecom and education,â
| Whitehurst added.
`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=335345

C-DAC Launches BOSS Linux Version 3.0, Signs MoU with NIC

,----[ Quote ]
| The Center for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) has launched its
| Bharat Operating Systems Solutions (BOSS) Linux software version 3.0
| developed by the National Resource Center for Free/Open Source Software
| (NRCFOSS). BOSS is a GNU/Linux distribution for enhancing the use of Free and
| Open Source Software (FOSS) in the country.
`----

http://www.itnewsonline.com/news/C-DAC-Launches-BOSS-Linux-Version-3.0,-Signs-MoU-with-NIC/13087/4/1

Say Ubuntu!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| Chennai, India.
|
| The city administration awarded the school toppers with free laptops. Thanks
| to the organizers for the Ubuntu screens (otherwise we wouldn't have known).
`----

http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=17

Indian Courts started supporting Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Towards Speedy, Inexpensive, Transparent and Accountable Justice
|
| Recently the Judicial Departments has taken steps towards the opensource
| softwares and they have started the operations for that they initially
| distributed around
|
| 10000 nos of laptops of hp along with the Redhat enterprise linux 5 along
| with the internet connection to their officers.
`----

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-news-59/indian-courts-started-supporting-linux-657167/#post3221474
http://tinyurl.com/5wfyg5

C-DAC Releases Five New Products at Elitex 2008

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businesswireindia.com/PressRelease.asp?b2mid=14841