[News] A Look at Ubuntu Netbook Remix Derivative, Jolicloud

  • Subject: [News] A Look at Ubuntu Netbook Remix Derivative, Jolicloud
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:59:40 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Jolicloud OS seeks to move past browsers

,----[ Quote ]
| Jolicloud starts with a great OS, Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and
| couples it with a different way to use existing web
| applications. We think the developers have done a great job
| integrating Prism into their interface and find it very
| usable. Only time will tell if users are willing to migrate
| from traditional browsing, to using web apps for what they
| really are: an application.
`----

http://hackaday.com/2009/09/19/jolicloud-os-seeks-to-move-past-browsers/

Recent:

Jolicloud Innovates Atop Ubuntu Netbook Remix

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux distributions designed specifically for use on netbooks is nothing
| new. Canonical produces the Ubuntu Netbook Remix version of Ubuntu for
| these small-sized devices, Intel has their Moblin distribution that is
| very fast and offers an attractive interface, gOS has their own netbook
| distribution...
|
| [...]
|
| Jolicloud's 2.6.30 kernel is also built with GCC optimizations for the
| Intel Atom processor and has picked up several out-of-tree kernel modules
| to support different functionality like PCI overclocking and more WiFi
| drivers. Other core improvements include updating the Intel Linux graphics
| stack, striping out unused kernel modules, and making other performance
| refinements.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=jolicloud_preview&num=1

Jolicloud's Netbook OS is Getting Noticed, Looks Unique

,----[ Quote ]
| Malmrose isn't the only one taking notice of Jolicloud. CNet's Josh Lowensohn
| has taken the beta version of Jolicloud's OS through some early paces, and
| says: "I've been giving it a thorough run-though over the past few days and
| have come away impressed at what it's trying to do. Some bits and pieces are
| definitely still beta, but the underlying approach of making Web sites and
| software applications feel the same, as well as introducing users to new ones
| to use is really innovative." Does this unusual netbook operating system have
| a chance?
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/joliclouds-netbook-os-is-getting-noticed-looks-unique

Installed Jolicloud, and WOW!

,----[ Quote ]
| This weekend, I installed Jolicloud on Leslee's netbook.  Jolicloud is
| currently in private alpha.  I put in for a key quite a long time ago.  A few
| months ago, I finally got accepted.  But....I've been really busy with the
| wedding and honeymoon, so it just sat there.  Now I regret it.  Wow,
| Jolicloud is phenominal.
`----

http://dmartin.org/weblog/installed-jolicloud-and-wow

Preview of Jolicloud: The social Netbook OS

,----[ Quote ]
| One of those, called Jolicloud is launching in beta in the next few months.
| Created by Tariq Krim, who founded and later left widget-based start page
| Netvibes, the alternate OS has been designed for Web workers, or people who
| do most of their work (or play) on Web applications and services.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-10310359-248.html

Hands-on with an alpha of the Jolicloud netbook distro

,----[ Quote ]
| Jolicloud is a Linux-based netbook OS that is built on top of Canonical's
| Ubuntu Netbook Remix. It uses Mozilla's Prism environment to make Web
| applications accessible outside of the browser.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2009/07/hands-on-jolicloud-alpha-combines-ubuntu-and-mozilla-prism.ars

Checking out the Jolicloud Netbook OS

,----[ Quote ]
| That may, actually, be exactly what is needed to bring the concepts of Ubuntu
| Netbook Remix to the masses. Itâs too early to tell, but Jolicloud looks like
| it has a chance of being one of the first Linux-based netbook distros to take
| off, if they can get deals with hardware manufacturers.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/2009/07/17/checking-out-the-jolicloud-netbook-os/

Hands-On Review Of Jolicloud, The iPhonesque OS For Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Founder and former CEO of Netvibes Tariq Krim is moving forward with his
| ambitious Jolicloud project, looking to build a better operating system for
| web workers with netbooks (or smartbooks or cloud computers, whichever term
| you prefer). A couple of days ago, we got a couple of exclusive screenshots
| from the team, and just a day after the startup started sending out a handful
| of invite codes for early adopters who wanted to get a peak at the alpha
| developer release. I also got hold of one and have been using Jolicloud on my
| Acer Aspire ONE for about four days now. These are my initial findings.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/06/07/hands-on-review-of-jolicloud-the-iphonesque-os-for-netbooks/

Jolicloud â The Innovative OS For The Web-Centric Crowd

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://maketecheasier.com/jolicloud-the-innovative-os-for-the-web-centric-crowd/2009/09/18