[News] Open Courseware Gets It Way in Staffordshire University

  • Subject: [News] Open Courseware Gets It Way in Staffordshire University
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 23:45:37 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Staffordshire University Launches JISC Funded Initiative for Federating Open Courseware

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK's Staffordshire University is taking part in a pilot
| study to explore the issues and benefits involved in making
| its âstockâ of learning content freely available.

100 Free Open Courseware Classes About Open Source Everything

,----[ Quote ]
| Open CourseWare and open education resources are founded on the principles of
| open source living, so itâs only natural that there are lots of open source
| courses to be found. In this guide, youâll find courses on linux, open source
| philosophy, legal issues, and more.

Professors Gone Paperless

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing their campaign to draw attention to the cost of textbooks, the
| Student Public Interest Research Groups celebrated Tuesday what theyâre
| calling a major milestone â reaching 1,000 professors whoâve signed a
| statement supporting the use of free, online and open source textbooks.

Information Liberation

,----[ Quote ]
| Other than in the realm of life-saving medicine, why should any of this
| matter to nonacademics? Well, for one thing, barriers to the spread of
| information are bad for capitalism. The dissemination of knowledge is almost
| as crucial as the production of it for the creation of wealth, and knowledge
| (like people) can't reproduce in isolation. It's easy to scoff at the rise of
| Madonna studies and other risible academic excrescences, but a flood of truly
| important research pours from campuses every day. The infrastructure that
| produces this work is surely one of America's greatest competitive
| advantages.
| In fact, open access might help to moderate some of the worst forms of
| academic hokum, if only by holding them up to the light of day -- and perhaps
| by making taxpayers, parents and college donors more careful about where they
| send their money. Entering the realm of delirium for a moment, one can even
| imagine public exposure encouraging professors in the humanities and social
| sciences to write in plain English.
| Keeping knowledge bottled up is also bad for the world's poor; indeed,
| opening up the research produced on America's campuses via the Internet is
| probably among the most cost-effective ways of helping underdeveloped
| countries rise from poverty. Closer to home, open access to scholarly work
| via the Internet would help counteract the plague of plagiarism that the
| Internet itself has abetted. Anyone suspecting a scholar of such chicanery
| could search for a phrase or two in Google and see if somebody else's work
| turns up with the same unusual text string.

1.8 million rulings online -- and free

,----[ Quote ]
| Sebastopol man posts half-century's worth of court decisions which could
| shake up $5 billion legal publishing industry

Berkman Center and CALI Partner to Create New Legal Education Resource

,----[ Quote ]
| âWe are looking forward to renewing a fruitful relationship with Harvard Law
| School through the Legal Education Commons project, which will provide
| innovative tools and access to open-licensed course materials to our more
| than 200 member law schoolsâ said CALI Executive Director John Mayer.

Harvard Research to Be Free Online

,----[ Quote ]
| Harvard University will soon begin posting research and articles produced by
| its faculty on the Internet free of charge.

A Quest to Get More Court Rulings Online, and Free

,----[ Quote ]
| The domination of two legal research services over the publication of federal
| and state court decisions is being challenged by an Internet gadfly who has
| embarked on an ambitious project to make more than 10 million pages of case
| law available free online.

Announcing the Open Library

,----[ Quote ]
| Early this year, when I left my job at Wired Digital, I thought I could look
| forward to months of lounging around San Francisco, reading books on the
| beach and drinking fine champagne and eating foie gras. Then I got a phone
| call. Brewster Kahle of the Internet Archive was thinking of pursuing a
| project that I'd been trying to do literally for years.
| [...]
| So today I'm extraordinarily proud to announce the Open Library project. Our
| goal is to build the world's greatest library,

Wikipedia Founder Joins EC Open Access Campaign

,----[ Quote ]