[News] MAFIAA to Add Intellectual Monopoly Tax to People's Phone Bills

  • Subject: [News] MAFIAA to Add Intellectual Monopoly Tax to People's Phone Bills
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 16:39:33 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Internet piracy policing could add Â24 to every phone bill

,----[ Quote ]
| Tackling internet piracy could push up broadband bills by
| Â24 a year, BT warned yesterday.
`----

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/city-news/2009/09/22/internet-piracy-policing-could-add-24-to-every-phone-bill-115875-21691017/

UK Anti-Piracy Plans Cost More Than Music Industry âLossesâ

,----[ Quote ]
| As the UK file-sharing debate reaches fever pitch, with
| opinionated artists being shipped in by the bus load to
| condemn it, inevitably attention is turning to the costs
| associated with trying to end it. According to a boss at
| ISP BT, not only are the governmentâs plans doomed to fail,
| but could end up costing ISPs a staggering Â1m a day.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/uk-anti-piracy-plans-cost-more-than-music-industry-losses-090922/

Elton John Flip Flops: Kicking People Off The Internet Is Good! No, Bad! No, Good!

,----[ Quote ]
| So, it was a bit of a surprise a few weeks back to see him
| among the list of big name rockstars coming out against
| kicking people off the internet for file sharing.
| Apparently, though, no one told Elton John that he was on
| that list, because now he's switched positions again and is
| saying that he's all for Peter Mandelson's proposal to kick
| people off the internet.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090922/1403136285.shtml

Recent:

Bias spelled I F P I

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we just got some new information about the appeal
| case. It turns out that one of the jurors in the appeal
| will be a person employed by Spotify.
|
| Spotify, part-owned by the record companies that are the
| suing party, is a Swedish company that sells/streams music
| online.
`----

http://blog.brokep.com/2009/09/21/bias-spelled-i-f-p-i/

Updated: Anti-Piracy Outfit and Lawyers May Operate Illegally

,----[ Quote ]
| Last month TorrentFreak reported on DigiProtect, the anti-
| piracy company with the tagline âTurn Piracy Into Profitâ.
| A manager from DigiProtect revealed some of the inner
| workings on how the company operates but according to a
| lawyer who defends alleged file-sharers, he may have
| revealed just a little too much.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/anti-piracy-outfit-and-lawyers-may-operate-illegally-090919/

Pirate Bay Judge Accused Of Conflict In Another Case As Well

,----[ Quote ]
| So now they've turned up another recent case (article in Swedish, here's the
| Google translation), this time involving BMW, where the judge appears to have
| been connected to the lawyers representing BMW as well.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090506/1029274770.shtml

IFPI Goes After Torrent Site Hosting Providers

,----[ Quote ]
| In the aftermath of the Pirate Bay verdict, Sweden has witnessed the demise
| of many other BitTorrent trackers. But not quite enough according to music
| industry lobby group IFPI, who are now threatening the hosting providers of
| torrent sites. The host of private BitTorrent tracker TorrentBytes appears to
| be one of the first targets.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/ifpi-goes-after-torrent-site-hosting-providers-090505/

Pirate Bay Judge Accused of Bias, Calls for a Retrial

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the biggest cases in file-sharing history ended last week with The
| Pirate Bay Four sentenced to huge fines and jail time. Today it is revealed
| that far from being impartial, the judge in the case is a member of
| pro-copyright groups - along with Henrik PontÃn, Monique Wadsted and Peter
| Danowsky. There are loud calls for a retrial.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/pirate-bay-lawyer-is-biased-calls-for-a-retrial-090423/

RIAA Brief Attacks Free Software Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| In their proposed response, the RIAA lawyers personally attacked The Free
| Software Foundation, Ray Beckerman (NewYorkCountryLawyer), and NYCL's
| blog, 'Recording Industry vs. The People'. The 9-page response (PDF) â 4
| pages longer than the document to which it was responding â termed the FSF an
| organization 'dedicated to eliminating restrictions on copying,
| redistribution, and modifying computer programs', and accused the FSF of
| having an 'open and virulent bias against copyrights' and 'blatant bias'
| against the record companies.
`----

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/21/2041241&from=rss

RIAA publicly humiliates judge Nancy Gertner

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/18787