[News] Microsoft Patents Method for Attacking Computer Users While Ignoring Patents

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Patents Method for Attacking Computer Users While Ignoring Patents
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:51:33 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft patents a DRM scheme

,----[ Quote ]
| SOFTWARE IMPERIALIST Microsoft has been awarded a patent
| for a distributed DRM system that works over peer-to-peer
| (P2P) networks.
|
| Patent number 7,594,275 is entitled, "Digital rights
| management system" and uses encrypted public and private
| keys as the licensing mechanism.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1555761/microsoft-patents-drm-scheme

Microsoft likes software patents, unless these are used against
Microsoft in which case Microsoft happily breaks the law it lobbied for.

Microsoft protests $290m Word judgment

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal judge fundamentally misinterpreted a patent
| asserted against Microsoft Word, an error that should
| require a $290m infringement penalty to be overturned,
| attorneys for the software giant argued Wednesday.
|
| [...]
|
| i4i has claimed that Microsoft deliberately set out to
| destroy its business while publicly proclaiming the two
| were allies. Microsoft's inclusion of custom-XML editing
| in Word from 2003 usurped its own invention and relegated
| its patented technology from a mainstay in the mass market
| to a niche player in the pharmaceutical industry, it has
| said.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/23/microsoft_i4i_patent_hearing/

Recent:

Another Reason To Use ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| Fast forward to today, and we learn that a company called i4i has won a
| lawsuit against Microsoft because Microsoft's use of XML -- including
| OOXML -- infringes an i4i patent. Microsoft has to pay i4i $290 million, and
| stop selling Word 2003 and Word 2007. Presumably, any product supporting
| OOXML will need to pay royalties to i4i.
|
| Meanwhile, ODF does not violate the i4i patent. (i4i has "looked at
| OpenOffice and found it doesn't infringe on its patents." OpenOffice uses
| ODF.)
|
| If you want your documents to be widely accessible, and remain accessible,
| you should use Open Document Format.
`----

http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.486.3

i4i tells its side of the story: Microsoft ruined our business