[News] Loads of Progress in Linux Graphics: Radeon HD , Mesa, Gallium3D, VIA

  • Subject: [News] Loads of Progress in Linux Graphics: Radeon HD , Mesa, Gallium3D, VIA
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 22:51:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

ATI Radeon HD 5850/5870 On Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike with the ATI RV770 launch where we were able to
| report on their evolutionary leap in Linux support
| through providing same-day Catalyst drivers and many
| other feature improvements and also had out Radeon HD
| 4850 and Radeon HD 4870 Linux benchmarks. This time
| around though, we have nothing. We have no Evergreen
| hardware in hand and have not even received any
| technical briefings on this new hardware.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzU0OQ

Mesa 7.6 Planned For Release Next Week

,----[ Quote ]
| Mesa 7.6 provides support for a number of new OpenGL
| extensions with its software rasterizer and the Intel
| i965 driver mostly, there is the rewritten
| Radeon/R200/R300 driver that uses the buffer manager
| (a.k.a. the Radeon 3D driver re-write),
| GL_EXT_framebuffer_object support for ATI when using
| the TTM memory manager, proper OpenGL 1.5 support for
| the ATI R300 series (and VBO + OQ support), and the
| assembly shader rework. This in fact is just a small
| portion of the changes. Mesa 7.6 is quite a huge update
| compared to Mesa 7.5, which was just released in July.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzU1NQ

Gallium3D's Softpipe Driver Now Runs Faster

,----[ Quote ]
| The softpipe driver will remain an area that's used for
| experimenting with new ideas by developers.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzU1Mg

VIA's Improved Framebuffer Driver In Linux 2.6.32

,----[ Quote ]
| While VIA's Chrome 9 DRM has yet to be accepted into
| the mainline Linux kernel since its mostly used by
| VIA's binary-only driver and then recently an updated
| 2D driver, with the viafb driver outside of X.Org, this
| frame-buffer driver has picked up many improvements
| with the Linux 2.6.32 kernel.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzU1MQ

Recent:

How Important Is The Wayland Display Server?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUzMQ