[News] Lotus (with GNU/Linux) Slowly Taking Away Market from Windows

  • Subject: [News] Lotus (with GNU/Linux) Slowly Taking Away Market from Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:27:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Lotus gaining against Microsoft, IBM claims

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM is claiming a series of competitive wins against
| Microsoft. Big name companies are said to be
| choosing Lotus products over Microsoft's
| collaboration software.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27969&Itemid=53

Why IBM won't Do Desktop Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Nothing really, as it presents a clear picture of
| IBM's attitudes in regards to Linux.
|
| Let's start with a little trip down memory lane. IBM
| Thinkpads were favorites amongst Linux users for
| years and years. What did IBM ever do to to show its
| appreciation for its loyal Linux Thinkpad users? Who
| paid the Microsoft tax even when they didn't want to
| use Windows, and jumped through all kinds of hoops
| to install Linux and get all the hardware working?
| Not much, some information pages but never official
| support. Which shows once again that it is a mistake
| to support vendors that treats its Linux customers
| as second-class citizens; the "if we be nice to them
| they'll be nice to us!" tactic does not work.
`----

http://blog.linuxtoday.com/blog/2009/09/why-bob-sutor-i.html

Recent:

IBM releases Lotus Symphony 1.3

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM has announced the release of Lotus Symphony 1.3, an alternative suite to
| Microsoft Office. The productivity tool suite consists of three component
| applications, Documents, Spreadsheets and Presentations, and is based on the
| 1.x branch of OpenOffice that has been modified by IBM developers.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/140322

IBM debuts beta of Lotus Symphony 4.0 for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Symphony is based on the Open Document Format standard, and includes tools
| for users to import Microsoft Office and Adobe PDF files into the suite. IBM
| says this would make it easier to integrate the suite into current
| deployments.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/IBM_debuts_beta_of_Lotus_Symphony_40_for_Linux/1206727362

Symphony Thursday: Team Blog on Document Interoperability

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.johndavidhead.com/jhead/johnhead.nsf/dx/lotus-symphony-team-blog-on-document-interoperability