[News] Microsoft Escapee Sam Ramji Falls Under Weight of Dismissals

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Escapee Sam Ramji Falls Under Weight of Dismissals
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 00:02:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft's CodePlex Foundation leader soaks in stinging critique

| forming consortia, the interim president of Microsoft's
| CodePlex Foundation, Sam Ramji, says the open source
| group is in a "beta" phase for its first 100 days and is
| welcoming all forms of evaluation and critique of its
| bylaws and governance model.
`----

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=ED63A63B-1A64-67EA-E4F486898012EA02

CodePlex -- the Microsoft circus.

Recent:

Codeplex Foundation Motivations Revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft man Sam Ramji reveals some of the Codeplex | Foundationâs motivations.
|
| In responding to the devestating criticism of the
| Codeplex Foundationâs fundamentally flawed
| organization and the high skepticism of its motives,
| Mr. Ramji revealed a bit of the true motives behind
| the Codeplex Foundation:
|
|     Look at projects related to Mono, you also can
|     look at NUnit, NHibernate, we really feel
|     optimistic that the Foundation could help them
|     gain a higher level of credibility in the open
|     source community. They feel they have been
|     lacking that strong moral support.
|
| Break that down and chew on it a bit!
|
| Mr. Ramji is saying you know those Microsoft-
| approved âOpen Sourceâ projects like Mono? And you
| know how the Open Source community keeps rejecting
| them? Well Microsoft is going to create our own
| playing field and support them!
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft is not new at leveraging its considerable
| resources into creating a rubber-stamp pre-approved
| situation, especially when the real and existing
| community doesnât want anything to do with
| Microsoftâs offerings â <cough> OOXML</cough> â and
| the CodePlex Foundation is just another example of
| that.
|
| The very idea that Microsoft can even set up an
| independent Open Source foundation is absolutely
| ludicrious. Pick any absurd analogy you like:
| Yankees fans setting up a Red Sox Appreciation
| Society, the Klan setting up a Civil Rights
| commission, Nickleback fans setting up a music
| appreciation group, whatever.
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2009/09/codeplex-foundation-motivations-revealed/

Touristâs Guide to Microsoftâs Potemkin Village

,----[ Quote ]
| To me, when someone starts heralding Microsoft - it instantly raises astroturf
| / shill suspicions in my mind. Automatic acceptance and praise  not only puts
| aside natural and justified skepticism, but it also skips right over âwait and
| seeâ into fanboy-land. I do not see how that is an intellectually honest
| position to take.
`----

http://mono-nono.com/2009/09/15/tourists-guide-to-microsofts-potemkin-village/

The CodePlex Foundation: First Impressions (and Recommendations)

,----[ Quote ]
| Q:  What about the CodePlex mission?  How does that sound?
|
| A:  I had to smile a bit when I listened to the (scripted) interview at the
| site.  The premise seems to be that (a) âsome companiesâ have âcultureâ
| problems that keep them out of open source projects, or are âuneasyâ with the
| âintellectual propertyâ rules of open source foundations; (b) that âmore
| companiesâ would participate âas much as they shouldâ if better practices, and
| intellectual property tools, were developed; and (c) that a place is needed to
| bring âsuch companiesâ and open source developers together.  Itâs clear that
| all of these statements would be true if you substituted âMicrosoftâ for the
| phrase, âsome companies,â but I havenât noticed that any of these factors has
| been a problem for most other software vendors.
|
| This slide from the interview will give you the flavor:
|
| Â    Commercial software developers currently under-participate in open source
| projects
|     -  Cultural differences
|     -  Differing development methodologies
|     -  Differing perspectives on copyrights and patents
|     -  Differing perspectives on licensing
| Â    No other foundation is dedicated to changing that situation
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20090914102959510

CodePlex Foundation founding flawed says legal expert

,----[ Quote ]
| Andrew Updegrove, co-creator of the MIT licence and an expert in creating
| consortiums, has examined the founding documents of CodePlex Foundation and
| believes its creation is flawed. Updegrove, in an extensive article on
| Consortiuminfo.org, points to the lack of initial co-sponsors, the small size
| of the board, which in 100 days time is scheduled to shrink from 5 to only 6
| members and to the fact that the majority of its members are Microsoft
| employed. He also notes that the foundation has not been set up as a
| membership organisation which he says is "very unusual for an organisation
| operating in an area that usually relies on consensus".
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/CodePlex-Foundation-founding-flawed-says-legal-expert--/news/114235

Codeplex Foundation â Microsoft loves FOSS?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the meantime Microsoft is looking for a new open source person to
| fill the space left by Mr Ramji.
| My money is on Mr De Icazza â he has sure earned it (IMO).
`----

http://openbytes.wordpress.com/2009/09/11/codeplex-foundation-microsoft-loves-foss/

A look at the CodePlex Foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| âMisunderstandings on both sidesâ? Could that have anything at all to do
| with the decade of misinformation and FUD Microsoft has directly and
| indirectly funded, including the Best Buy disinformation campaign
| running at this very moment?
|
| The chutzpah it must have taken for the author to actually type out that
| sentence, knowing full well that his own employer is the overwhelmingly
| largest single engine of misinformation, lies and destruction aimed at
| the Open Source community! You almost have to admire a man you can look
| you right in the eye and lie, knowing that you know that he knows that
| you know he is lying!
|
| And there we have the fatal flaw of the CodePlex Foundation revealed:
| because it is a Microsoft mouthpiece, it can not speak directly and
| honestly about the single biggest challenge Free and Open Source
| Software faces - the aggressive hostility and lies spread about it by
| Microsoft.
|
| [...]
|
| The amazing thing is some people believe it! I guess some people fall
| for Nigerian scams, order Vigara from links in random email, and
| franticially dial 1-800 numbers during infomercials so they can get the
| deal that is ONLY AVAILABLE TO CALLERS IN THE NEXT 5 MINUTES!!!
`----

http://www.the-source.com/2009/09/a-look-at-the-codeplex-foundation/

Miguel joins Microsoft board, slams FSF

http://mono-nono.com/2009/09/11/miguel-joins-microsoft-board-slams-fsf/

Microsoft launches open source foundation

,----[ Quote ]
| The foundation is initially being funded by Microsoft and will be led by
| Microsoft's Sam Ramji (**UPDATED** Ramji is leaving Microsoft on
| September 25th) . Novell's  Miguel de Icaza will be part of the new
| foundation's Board of Directors (don't forget Microsoft and Novell have
| an interop and patent deal).
|
| So why does Microsoft need its own open source foundation? And what's
| the difference vs what they are doing with Codeplex.com anyways?
|
| [...]
|
| I understand that CodePlex has its own ecosystem, but I would have
| expected the path to commercialization might have been better served
| through Microsoft itself rather than some shell open source foundation.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/09/microsoft-launches-open-source.html

New Microsoft-backed open source foundation faces questions

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/09/new-microsoft-backed-open-source-foundation-faces-questions.ars

If Microsoft really wants to be friends with Linux...

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has created a new foundation, the CodePlex Foundation which
| claims to be about bringing open-source and proprietary software
| companies together to participate side by side in open-source projects.
| Yeah. Right.
|
| [...]
|
| Besides, just like the snake in the story, Microsoft is more than happy
| to poison open-source software even as it proclaims that it wants to co-
| operate with open source. Just off the top of my head there's the
| revelation that Microsoft's ExpertZone training for Best Buy and other
| retailers is stuffed with anti-Linux lies.
|
| And, then there's Microsoft's patent attacks on open-source using
| companies like TomTom and its thwarted efforts to sell anti-Linux
| patents to a patent troll. According to Jim Zemlin, executive director
| of the Linux Foundation, "The details are that Microsoft assembled a
| package of patents 'relating to open source' and put them up for sale to
| patent trolls. Microsoft thought they were selling them to AST, a group
| that buys patents, offers licenses to its members, and then resells the
| patents." What actually happened was that Microsoft ended up selling the
| patents to the Open Invention Network, a pro-Linux intellectual-property
| organization.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14716/if_microsoft_really_wants_to_be_friends_with_linux

Microsoft and Patent Trolls