[News] UK Government Accused of Holding Free(dom) Software Back

  • Subject: [News] UK Government Accused of Holding Free(dom) Software Back
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 05:40:43 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

UK needs to be more open to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| During a discussion in Whitehall, industry experts
| concluded that the government needs to embrace open source
| more.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/615553/uk-needs-to-be-more-open-to-open-source

Gov't open-source guidelines ignored, says Ingres

,----[ Quote ]
| The public sector is ignoring government guidelines on
| procuring open-source software, according to open-
| source database company Ingres.
`----

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39773924,00.htm

Recent:

UK government ignoring own rules on open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source vendors are calling on the UK government to
| put its money where its mouth is and police its own
| rules on public sector open source software procurement
| - which were revised in February this year.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/09/25/open_source_open_standards_uk_government/

Tories call for health computer systems cuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr O'Brien insisted that "open source" systems could be more secure. We guess
| he means open source database software run by government offices, not
| inviting all the world's under-employed programmers to rewrite the UK's NHS
| software systems.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1528873/tories-health-systems-cuts

Conservatives publish NHS IT policy pledges

,----[ Quote ]
| The Conservatives say they "welcome these conclusions" in part because they
| are "consistent with our plans to free the NHS from Labour's central control
| and interference so that it is locally accountable to patients and can focus
| on improving the results of their treatment".
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/tony_collins/2009/08/conservatives-publish-nhs-it-p.html

Software vendors and the UK Government: how to peer behind the scenes

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/myblog/software-vendors-and-the-uk-government-how-to-peer-behind-the-scenes.html